Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

What do YOU do during an #OhmHour?

Kate from OhmConnectKate from OhmConnect Posts: 1,018Administrator
edited December 2016 in General Discussion

Recently, members of the OhmConnect team interviewed various users to learn how they felt about the product and what their experience has been. Recently, we learned that those who felt most positively about OhmConnect spend their #OhmHours doing something fun. Indeed, we learned that many people see #OhmHours as a time to literally AND figuratively "unplug," whether by staying out of the house and going to the gym; spending quality time with the family; having a candlelit dinner, etc.

Given that we're nearing that warm and cozy Holiday season, we want to know how YOU spend your #OhmHours.

Please let us know in the comments below how you pass the time in a (hopefully) positive way. Let us know in as much detail as possible.

Comments

• curtistonguecurtistongue Posts: 36Administrator

I usually dust off some old books. Reading through Asimov's 'Foundation' during the recent #OhmHours.

• drtsdrts Bonita, CAPosts: 13Member

Reading on my charged-up kindle!

• Kate from OhmConnectKate from OhmConnect Posts: 1,018Administrator

Wonderful @drts! How do you feel after spending 1-2 hours reading?

edited December 2016

I bundle up under layers, use my battery-operated Christmas land read by candlelight by necessary. I love the opportunity to hear nothing but SILENCE!

• Brooks BBrooks B Posts: 38Administrator

I like to get outside and take a walk around the neighborhood! There are a ton of studies out there showing how time in nature reduces stress, increases creativity, and helps you feel happier. I definitely buy into it, and the #OhmHour texts are a great reminder to power down and go outside.

My sleep doctor approves of my reading on my kindles in bed for 1-2 hours a night. It relaxes me for bed, and I can usually finish an average novel in this time and easily go to sleep. Some kindles, however, are better on your eyes with a reading light (Fire) and others (Voyager) adjust to ambient light, not stressing your eyes in complete dars. The cost differential, however, is huge.

@drts said:
    My sleep doctor approves of my reading on my kindles in bed for 1-2 hours a night. It relaxes me for bed, and I can usually finish an average novel in this time and easily go to sleep. Some kindles, however, are better on your eyes with a reading light (Fire) and others (Voyager) adjust to ambient light, not stressing your eyes in complete dars. The cost differential, however, is huge.

I'm all about that! I turn my computer/phone/ipad into "sleep mode" to change the blue light after 10pm!

• cdacipollacdacipolla Posts: 1Member

My 11 year old daughter and I play board games while snuggled up in blankets by lamp light, or we do homework or read together on the patio when it is warm enough (and light enough) outside. We love ohmhours because it is a reminder to slow down and enjoy our time together.

• jasmine winchjasmine winch Posts: 96Member
    During #ohmhours my children and I will go play outside if its during the day and nice outside. If its during the evening time we will play games on our tablets, board games, or have a fire in the backyard and roast marshmallows.
    This is a photo of my children and sister all spending time reading books indoors together during #ohmhours Spending time together reading is something we enjoy to do during this time. If its at night we have little battery powered lanterns that work great to see.

What a beautiful image, @jasmine winch

• StephanieStephanie Posts: 1Member

My cats don't mind #ohmhours - that just means more snuggles for them! Here is Tank enjoying couch time with me under a quilt I made a few years ago. Quilts are definitely another good ohmhour tool. :)

Hey, yes, that's in daylight. My 2 small dogs and 4 cats are ready to cuddle in the afternoon. Between 5 and 7 pm...nothing to do. It's too dark to do anything. Please protest 2 hour OHM hours after dark. Too hard to schedule easily.

• Matt DMatt D Posts: 27Administrator

I usually go for a walk with the little one except when its rainy like today. Gotta get bundled up when we do (note the great logo on our blanket)

• Hanging out with my nephews, its our time to be silly, We call it Camp-Hour. We are always ready for a Good game of Laser Tag. Gives us a fun time to connect & enjoy some family time!! >> #OhmHours <<

• giraffes_67giraffes_67 Lake CountyPosts: 14Member
    We have 2 teenager boys, 15 & 17 .. they turned off games and laptop , out side they went..they racked leaves and filled the green wast garbage can.. it is a chore for them, just happy to them use the time well.. o:)
  • Brooks BBrooks B Posts: 38Administrator

Thanks so much, everybody, for your wonderful contributions and photos! It's really great to hear everyone's preferred #OhmHour activities.

The OhmConnect Team would like to congratulate @jasmine winch as the winner of this #OhmHour photo contest! Jasmine, we really loved your photo with your kids, and we also enjoyed the various #OhmHour activities that you shared with us in your comment. Roasting marshmallows and using battery-powered lamps to do some reading are really great ideas!

As a prize for winning this contest, we're sending Jasmine a free TP-LINK smart plug from the OhmConnect Store.

Thanks again to everyone for participating, and we look forward to seeing your submissions to the next #OhmHour photo contest!

Cheers,

Brooks
    Product Manager at OhmConnect

• AKPsi VinceAKPsi Vince Union CityPosts: 863Moderator
    @jasmine winch Congrats!
    Thank you so much :)
    Unplugged teenagers. .for our power hour.. yumm roasted marshmallows! ! congrats to u.
  • cmankcmank Posts: 1Member

During a recent OhmHour, I had turned off all the lights and appliances in the house and was in the garage with one light on, working on a Christmas project. When my partner came home from work, she needed to use her phone to record her time sheet for the day. She didn't see me in the garage, but must have realized it was an OhmHour. Here she is, updating her time sheet:

• AKPsi VinceAKPsi Vince Union CityPosts: 863Moderator
    @cmank That's awesome! Way to go! How did your OH performance look like for that OH? I'm curious how much energy you saved compared to your forecast and how many points you got. Please update us! Or better yet, post a screenshot of your OhmHour performance results =)

@Don Paul These are great ideas! I'm going to add this to another thread for tips!

• tonirenetonirene Posts: 1Member
    edited January 5
    It depends on the day and time but my favorite way to spend #OhmHours is to light a fire and snuggle up with my boys
  • oDeBiOoDeBiO Santa Maria, CAPosts: 2Member

The *OhmHour gives me time to unwind and unplug. I'll either read in the living room by candle light (the candles warm up my small living room) or go work out at the gym. Other times, I'll just relax and enjoy the silence. It is a good time to play cards, board games, color, draw or doodle, go outside (weather permitting) and enjoy the sights & sounds of wildlife in the neighborhood or take a walk.

• Marylou GarciaMarylou Garcia Posts: 1Member
    > @curtistongue said:
    > I usually dust off some old books. Reading through Asimov's 'Foundation' during the recent #OhmHours.

I was wondering was does TBD mean ?
  • onekiteonekite Posts: 4Member
    edited March 3
    We light candles and play gin.
  • UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 343Member, Moderator

@Marylou Garcia said:

@curtistongue said:
    I usually dust off some old books. Reading through Asimov's 'Foundation' during the recent #OhmHours.

I was wondering was does TBD mean ?

I believe TBD means To Be Decided.

Had one teenager doing home work by battery push light and the other on his chrome book unpluged.... my self working on plunging the bath tub...by candle light. .lol