What do YOU do during an #OhmHour?

Comments

• drtsdrts Bonita, CAMember Posts: 13

OHMers near Bonita/Chula Vista please feel free to come by and pick up FREE BOOKS from my Little Free Library for your OHM hour in my front yard at 1033 Calle Mesita, Bonita, anytime. I have thousands of books to get rid of, but feel free to bring some to trade as well, not required but new reading material always appreciated. I do take requests here on this chat. Have lots of history, mystery, fiction, travel, historical romance, westerns, classics, comedy, and a few kids series.

• What a fantastic idea @drts -- I love free libraries and love this for #OhmHours! Would you care to take a picture and share with us?

edited May 2017

May 12, 2017
    The Little Free Library at 1033 Calle Mesita reopened today. Current Offerings Include:

Austin, Jane. Northanger Abbey.
    Blume, Judy. Blubber.
    Bombeck, Erma. I Want to Grow Hair, I Want to Grow Up, I Want to Go to Boise.
    Brashares, Ann. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.
    Brightfield, Richard. The Young Indiana Jones Chronicle #6.
    Christie, Agatha. The A.B.C. Murders.
    DiCamillo, Kate. Because of Winn-Dixie.
    Fforde, Jasper. The Big Over Easy.
    Follett, Ken. The Pillars of the Earth.
    Frazier, Charles. Cold Mountain.
    Kidd, Sue Monk. The Secret Life of Bees.
    Hiassen, Carl. Basket Case.
    Hillenbrand, Laura. Unbroken.
    L’Amour, Louis. Haunted Mesa.
    Larsson, Stieg. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.
    Lee, Harper. Go Set a Watchman.
    Martin, George R. R. Game of Thrones.
    Marquez, Gabriel Garcia. Love in the Time of Cholera.
    Melville, Herman. Moby-Dick.
    Moore, Christopher. Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ’s Childhood Pal.
    O’Dell, Scott. Island of the Blue Dolphins.
    Patterson, James. I Funny.
    Picoult, Jodi. Songs of the Humpback Whale.
    Sachar, Louis. Holes.
    Sayers, Dorothy L. Gaudy Night.
    Selden, George. The Cricket in Times Square.
    Sharra, Jeff. Gods and Generals.
    Smith, Alexander McCall. The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency.
    Stockett, Kathryn. The Help.
    Twain, Mark. A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court.
    Zusak, Marcus. The Book Thief.

Most books currently are in the fiction, history, humor, mystery, young adults, and classics genres. An additional box with room for Juvenile, Magazines, and Larger books will be added soon. There will also be a board for requests shortly.

Please feel free to come take a book to have ready for an OHM hour. If you wish to share any books you really liked, we would appreciate it, but it is not required. Please come and enjoy!

Thanks, Tamara Smith Little Free Library, 1033 Calle Mesita, Bonita, CA 91902

• @drts I can't love this enough!

• Leahp32Leahp32 MaderaMember Posts: 8
    Play outside with my kids
  • earthspiriearthspiri Member Posts: 1

Instead of working on my computer while my son listens to audio books and plays with his toys, we sat together and worked on our knitting by candlelight. It was pretty dreamy.

• The Bitz BoysThe Bitz Boys Union CityModerator Posts: 1,017
    edited March 2017
    @[email protected] that's really neat that your son knits with you and sounds like a great way to connect with him and form a deeper parent-child bond. Plus he'll know how to mend holes in his clothes or knit a nice scarf to keep warm in the winter - none of which I know how to do, so I go around cold with holes in my clothes =\
  • giraffes_67giraffes_67 Lake CountyMember Posts: 14
    We have 2 teenagers 16& 17 and yes there unpluged one night one was reading home work by battery push light.. n other on his chrome book unpluged. . I was washing dinner dishes.
  • Matt DMatt D Administrator Posts: 36

I have been consistently getting good reductions with smart plugs. All my lamps in my house get turned off automatically along with my small fridge... my #OhmHour streak is currently at 5!

• kayqt76ykayqt76y Member Posts: 1
    When we have a daytime ohm hour we usually play board games or card games. During an evening one we read/play games on our charged up devices or have an early bedtime.
  • nohely94nohely94 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2017
    I've unplugged everything in the house and lit up some candles! The fam is playing monopoly !

OPENING DAY of LA Dodgers/SD Padres Baseball at 1:10 and you call an OHM hour!!!! Guess I'm going to a bar for lunch...

• Oh man!!! Sorry @drts -- that's dedication if you're willing to leave your home to keep your streak going ;)

• Steven1Steven1 Morgan Hill, CAMember Posts: 5
    Just turned off the TV
  • Steven1Steven1 Morgan Hill, CAMember Posts: 5
    Wrote a bunch of emails to OC about connected devices. :#
  • @Steven - that's great!

Our 2 teenagers off for spring break from school, n they play on wireless Vida n other wad one a Galaxy. .. I went shopping with a friend. Got home n I turned on big freezer n plugged in hot tub.
    I showing my teenagers how much better we did on this last power hour vs- our last like last was like 89 points n last one was like 187... asked them what did we do different. . ??? Started to turn off things 10 min b4 hour starts n turn off the PS4 all the way .it has a sleep mode but still power on.. I feel these other few things helped us do better. N go 5 minlonger then hour ends..
  • OHM DimensionOHM Dimension Santa Cruz CountyMember Posts: 9
    edited July 2017
    Depending on the time of day during OHM determines our family activity. Every OhmHour becomes a household event to spend time as a family. Today we played with Legos and a Minecraft card game.
  • @elizabeth[email protected] said:
    Depending on the time of day during OhmHour determines our family activity. Every OhmHour becomes a household event to spend time as a family. Today we played with Legos and a Minecraft card game.

That's so lovely to hear. We've heard so many stories of families using the time to bond. We hope you'll take pictures next time and share with us!

• OHM DimensionOHM Dimension Santa Cruz CountyMember Posts: 9
    ...Still not done playing with Legos, after dinner
    Well I was home boyfriend at work n our to teenagers at school or on bus heading home my power hour 3 to 4 around 250 I go around I turn down our big freezer and unpluged the Hot tub and all lights off.. I swept n mopped the kitchen floor, folded clothes, was out side a bit it was raining brought wood in we have a wood stove for heat.. and with all that it was 405.. .
  • @OurDimension as one of my colleagues commented, "Legos-- that's my kind of family!"

edited April 2017
    I went outside with my 3-year old twin boys to practice playing baseball.
    It was all lights off I was only one home , I was outside picking up yard and feeding our 45 pound tortoise ...
  • @That Son Of A Bitz and @giraffes_67 I would love to see pics of BOTH!!

• clawr1313clawr1313 Member Posts: 2
    It seems that every ohm hour is during our dinner time. Our house is all electric so it makes it hard to turn off appliances when we using them to prepare dinner.
  • @clawr1313 that can be hard! Have you considered making dinner ahead of time if you get advance notice?

Kate here my lilc n Flash our Tortoise