What do YOU do during an #OhmHour?

Comments

• vetidoravetidora Member Posts: 78
    My daughter and I go around the house turning everything off and unplugging everything we can she looks forward to an ohm hour while the ohm is in the process we play out side or garden.
  • The Bitz BoysThe Bitz Boys Union CityModerator Posts: 1,017
    edited April 2017

I went outside with my 3-year old twin boys to practice playing baseball (repost with picture imbedded in comments)

Liking the night time ohms getting some much needed yard work done
  • taZZZkittytaZZZkitty Member Posts: 90

Last night I turned everything off and watched Arrival on my laptop in the dark.

• @[email protected] I <3 this!! Does she have fun turning off the lights?

• @That Son Of A Bitz those boys are so cute!!!

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2017

User @giraffes_67 shared pictures of garden and turtle with me for all of you to see:

Liking the night time ohms getting some much needed yard work done> @Kate from OhmConnect said:
    > @[email protected].com I <3 this!! Does she have fun turning off the lights?

Yes she tends too get upset when we don't have one so I try to do an ohm hour at least once a week just so she can participate and learn more about saving energy
  • Steve ESteve E Member, Moderator Posts: 329

If it is in the evening around 6-7 then it's a good time to shut everything off and go out for dinner.

Now that it doesn't get dark so early it's also a good time to take the dogs out for a good walk around the neighborhood. This would normally be preferential but at times we have Coyotes (we have been stopped in the past and told there was a pack of around 10 marauding) wandering our neighborhood and they have become more brazen. It used to be you wouldn't see them until it was dark and then several months ago we encountered one (albeit harmlessly as it went across the street from us and away from us) when it was still light and barely dusk.

• SD ChipSD Chip Member Posts: 146

**BEFORE AN OHMHOUR......CHECK THE CONNECT TAB!!! **I thought my wiser plugs were being controlled during an ohmHour, but when I checked the connect tab, it said my 3 devices were not connected? Not sure how I lost that connection.....or when!! Now I just have to remember where I put those "Catch Phrases".

@SD Chip The catch phrases should be on the back of the Plugs.
  • ClimateChangeIsRealClimateChangeIsReal Member Posts: 14

The best is to just leave the house!

• drtsdrts Bonita, CAMember Posts: 13

The Little Free Library at 1033 Calle Mesita reopened today. Please feel free to come grab a book to fill your next OHM Hour! Current Offerings Include:

Austin, Jane. Northanger Abbey.
    Blume, Judy. Blubber.
    Bombeck, Erma. I Want to Grow Hair, I Want to Grow Up, I Want to Go to Boise.
    Brashares, Ann. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.
    Brightfield, Richard. The Young Indiana Jones Chronicle #6.
    Christie, Agatha. The A.B.C. Murders.
    DiCamillo, Kate. Because of Winn-Dixie.
    Fforde, Jasper. The Big Over Easy.
    Follett, Ken. The Pillars of the Earth.
    Frazier, Charles. Cold Mountain.
    Kidd, Sue Monk. The Secret Life of Bees.
    Hiassen, Carl. Basket Case.
    Hillenbrand, Laura. Unbroken.
    L’Amour, Louis. Haunted Mesa.
    Larsson, Stieg. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.
    Lee, Harper. Go Set a Watchman.
    Martin, George R. R. Game of Thrones.
    Marquez, Gabriel Garcia. Love in the Time of Cholera.
    Melville, Herman. Moby-Dick.
    Moore, Christopher. Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ’s Childhood Pal.
    O’Dell, Scott. Island of the Blue Dolphins.
    Patterson, James. I Funny.
    Picoult, Jodi. Songs of the Humpback Whale.
    Sachar, Louis. Holes.
    Sayers, Dorothy L. Gaudy Night.
    Selden, George. The Cricket in Times Square.
    Sharra, Jeff. Gods and Generals.
    Smith, Alexander McCall. The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency.
    Stockett, Kathryn. The Help.
    Twain, Mark. A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court.
    Zusak, Marcus. The Book Thief.

Most books currently are in the fiction, history, humor, mystery, young adults, and classics genres. An additional box with room for Juvenile, Magazines, and Larger books will be added soon. There will also be a board for requests shortly.

Please feel free to come take a book. If you wish to share any books you really liked, we would appreciate it, but it is not required. Please come and enjoy!

Thanks, Tamara Smith

• Ian and JenIan and Jen Member Posts: 3

My husband and I play board games or go visit with the in-laws

• giraffes_67giraffes_67 Lake CountyMember Posts: 14
    Shut off light .unplug hotub and now have pool pump set up... I spend my time out in my yard. I have lots of plants and a 45 pound tortoise , she great she follows me around in the yard.. as I rack n weed and water yard . . And feed her..
  • hayjude777hayjude777 Tehachapi Ca.Member Posts: 54
    I run a bath with bath salts turn off the breaker and break out the glow sticks I'll put a few on the shower rod a few in the water and relax with colorful illuminations.
  • Kenneth BoydKenneth Boyd Member Posts: 2
    I take care of my two elderly disabled parents so we're very trapped at home. During summer where we live it's about 110+ this time of year so these ohm hours are particularly tough for us. This upcoming 2 hour long one is going to be a doozy! Going to whip out the frozen veggies to put on bodies. =\ The struggle is beyond real.
  • taZZZkittytaZZZkitty Member Posts: 90

Sounds like you have the same one coming up as I do @Kenneth Boyd . Getting the same temps here. Live in the central valley? I usually just shut all the blinds and use a handheld fan thing and turn on my tower fan if it gets so hot i can't stand it. Haven't done two hours in this heat before though. We'll see how hot it gets!

• OHM DimensionOHM Dimension Santa Cruz CountyMember Posts: 9
    edited July 2017
    We were surprised to see OHM as HOURS for the first time. Our family understood 3 hours was necessary due to the recent heatwaves. Another family fun time without power! We ate dinner and played Minecraft Legos and a board game called Brain Games. Brain Games has a series of shows we have watched via Netflix. What a truly excellent way for our family to expand our minds and connect more as a family...try this game with your family :)
  • WaterGuyWaterGuy Member, Moderator Posts: 414

This sounds a little cheesy, but regardless of what I'm doing during an OhmHour, I like to use the opportunity to consider how fortunate we are to have a reliable grid most of the time. I lived abroad for several years, and stayed in places that either weren't grid-tied or experienced frequent power cuts. It would reach temperatures over 120 degrees during the hot season, and those ultra-hot nights without fans or AC were pretty miserable. Giving up electrical power for an hour every now and then reminds me of that time abroad, helps me feel connected to my friends that live like that all the time, and reminds me not to take our infrastructure for granted.

@[email protected] I love how you got your family involved with participating in the OhmHOURS. Family time sounds like one of the best ways to spend an OH, save some energy and make some cash to buy another family time game!
  • chuckharchuckhar Member Posts: 3

I live in the Ocean Beach Neighborhood of San Diego near a fishing pier. I love walking out there...Here's what it's like:

@[email protected] thanks sharing. That's an awesome way to spend an OH! I'm super jealous! But it looks really cold especially for the surfer. Hope you brought a sweater =)
  • No Pain No GainNo Pain No Gain 93035Member Posts: 404

I tend to procrastinate, so when I'm unplugged for an hour, I go over material for classes I'll be teaching at work starting in September. It makes the hour go by fast AND I'm doing something that really needs to get done. Win-Win.

• dialynpadialynpa CAMember Posts: 1
    edited July 2017
    Spend the time in our backyard swimming and barbequeing, it works out nicely to have a few hours with our teens not connected to the internet. Unfortunately they've learned to make sure their phones are charged before an OhmHour
  • OHM DimensionOHM Dimension Santa Cruz CountyMember Posts: 9
    edited July 2017
    Yesterday was a 2 hour OHM! We are lucky to live in one of the 12 cities in the Bay Area allowed to sell, buy and light safe N sane fireworks...our artillery! Love our family OHM!
  • DiversWifeDiversWife Member Posts: 4

I sweat. A lot.

• AubreemmAubreemm Lake Elsinore, CA. 92630Member Posts: 22

No devices means we can actually sit here and just talk. If I'm home alone I usually read.

• justanothersahmjustanothersahm Member Posts: 4

Usually the Ohmhours happen when its still pretty hot outside (100-115), so I turn off AC, unplug unused appliances and sometimes turn off my water heater. We stay in the house if its just an hour, but stay low key playing because the temperature climbs pretty fast. We had a 3 hour Ohmhour during the heat and dinner time, so we went out to eat.

• cbaldwi1cbaldwi1 Member Posts: 3

Sit outside and read. Ironic though...the last OhmHour I had was the 25th. My energy utility is SCE. The ONLY day in the last 21 that is unavailable in terms of hour by hour usage on their website, is the 25th. Somehow, I don't think that's a coincidence. I'm getting updates from TODAY...but the one day I had an OhmHour I know I'm gonna be under (flipped the breaker off), isn't updating. That's suspicious.