What do YOU do during an #OhmHour?

Comments

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoMember, Moderator Posts: 1,625
    > @[email protected].com said:
    > Sit outside and read. Ironic though...the last OhmHour I had was the 25th. My energy utility is SCE. The ONLY day in the last 21 that is unavailable in terms of hour by hour usage on their website, is the 25th. Somehow, I don't think that's a coincidence. I'm getting updates from TODAY...but the one day I had an OhmHour I know I'm gonna be under (flipped the breaker off), isn't updating. That's suspicious.

Have you checked out this post?
    https://forum.ohmconnect.com/discussion/1088/how-to-view-3rd-party-authorization-and-data-transfers-for-sce#latest
  • AmmieAmmie Member Posts: 1
    During the 8-9 Ohmhour, I go on my little back deck and water the flowers. After that I wait for the various solar lights to come on. They vary from a Peacock, to a little jar on the table with artificial succulents, and other non standard solar lights. Then sometimes if the Space Station is going overhead my grandson and I wait to watch it go over. We also light candles in the house and do mini camp outs.
  • cmortin7cmortin7 Member Posts: 1
    Turn off the tv and enjoy some family time... Board games and story time is a nice way to spend the evening with my wife and son.
  • SCECUSTOMERSCECUSTOMER Oak View, California, USAMember Posts: 52

I go outside, clean the chicken coop, watch them take a dust bath , clean up something in the garden. pre-fill the wastebin for the next time it is wastebin collection day. Never a dull moment ;-)

• trublumatrubluma Member Posts: 2

Unplug the fridge/freezer, turn off a/c, turn off all/most of my power strips, take a walk, quality time with my 3 kitties, beer time, take a nap, etc.

• loebtmcloebtmc Member Posts: 3

they usually fall during my work hours, so I don't use ANY electricity at home — being at work and all....

• The Bitz BoysThe Bitz Boys Union CityModerator Posts: 1,017
    @loebtmc How do you ensure you save during every OhmHour that occurs while you're at work? Do you have everything on SmartPlugs?
  • Papa DanPapa Dan Member Posts: 6
    If the Ohm Hour cooperates, I go to the Yoga studio.
  • kabilanakabilana Member Posts: 1

today is my first ohm hour and i am using this to take my kid to the park and totally unplug by getting some exercise done myself. ohm hour makes me want to go out, so i dont do work at home using electricity :smile:

• cbusch27cbusch27 Member Posts: 1

I have purchased remote control outlet switches for high use "vampire" plug-ins.....e.g. TV, DVD, Stereo, routers....etc. One click and all are shut off. I not only shut them off during an Ohm hour but also when I go to bed or leave on a vacation. It not only saves on electricity but these electronics add heat that require more AC.....CB

@[email protected] That's a great point you bring up about devices letting off heat. Unfortunately, the energy needed to power some devices that are not energy efficient is wasted as heat. As a result, your AC needs to work harder to offset this extra heat. So it's a double energy wasting whammy! Just think old incandescent light bulbs that you tried not to touch because they got super hot. Now many people have replaced them with CFLs and LEDs, which expel little to no heat, so very little energy wasted and you use less of it.

Moral of the story: if you have devices that aren't intended to warm your house, yet they still give off heat, either replace them with more energy efficient models, turn them off and/or unplug, or just slap a SmartPlug on them and you're good to go. Same goes with those fancy decorate lamps. If the bulb is hot, replace it with an LED or just replace the lamp altogether. If you can't part ways with the lamp and there isn't an equivalent LED (or CFL) bulb you can replace it with, then definitely hook it up to a SmartPlug.

And while you're at it, refer friends and family and get at least 2 of them to sign up and connect their utility account, so they get to silver level by Labor Day and you get a FREE Smart Thermostat (after rebate). If you can only get 1 to silver, that's still great because that'll at least get you a FREE SmartPlug (after rebate).
  • John KJohn K Lake Forest - Hikers and Bikers TeamMember Posts: 585

@AKPsi Vince said:
    Their idea, not mine.

That is so impressive. Mom and Dad should be quite proud.

• No Pain No GainNo Pain No Gain 93035Member Posts: 404

@AKPsi Vince They're so cute! And so aware of their environment at just 3 yo. Wow! Thanks for sharing!

What else do I do during an OhmHour? Well, I finally got my wife to turn everything off yesterday. Because my wife hasn't been too keen on OhmHours, we don't actively participate as much as I'd like, which results in A LOT of broken streaks. And I don't blame her because SmartPlugs have turned stuff off while I was testing them out - TV, treadmill, etc - and she longer gets alerts because she thought there were too many and I forget to pass the message along.

So I corvertly told my boys' preschool teacher to remind them about the OhmHour that was going to happen by the time they got out of school, so they could tell my wife. If I told/asked her, she'd say "no way" like usual. But with your own kids, it's a lot harder to say no when they had so much fun finding everything around house to unplug.

So guess what? To my surprise, a lot of stuff was unplugged when I got home! I also had suggested she take the boys out to pick up garbage like we did on Monday, but she said she wasn't "too into picking up garbage", so she took them to Fudrucker's for grilled cheese sandwiches and I got to meet up with them for soft serve.

That was awesome! Now that I've got the boys on my side, i know she'll come around eventually.

@AKPsi Vince If I had my way, I'd just flip off the circuit breakers for every OH, but someone in my home just can't live without a computer for an hour! Gotta agree with your wife, though.... going out for sammiches is a lot more fun than picking up trash. :smiley:

• JennieSJennieS Member Posts: 1
    We are unplugging and going for a walk. :)
  • taZZZkittytaZZZkitty Member Posts: 90

Last OH I watched the first hour of Annabelle: Creation on my laptop alone in the darkening apartment. The last 15 minutes or so when it was completely dark were pretty terrifying! lol Bad decision!

• professionprofession 1459 E Lassen #83 Chico CA 95973Member Posts: 1
    During our OH we are out with the kids. We love to be imaginative. Monday we stayed active by jumping onto huge brown stuffed bears pretending they were mud puddles.
  • Athena CrowellAthena Crowell Member Posts: 1
    I just went for a walk to the library and went to lunch all in the same block.
  • @Athena Crowell said:
    I just went for a walk to the library and went to lunch all in the same block.

sounds delightful :)

• @profession said:
    During our OH we are out with the kids. We love to be imaginative. Monday we stayed active by jumping onto huge brown stuffed bears pretending they were mud puddles.

thank you so much for sharing!

• mrfloyd77jmrfloyd77j Member Posts: 1

I don't think making 6 - 10 cents an event is worth it. Been at this for a month or so but already considering cancelling. Just not worth the headache most events.

• MaxDunnMaxDunn Administrator Posts: 6

The trick is to get the streaks going and the multipliers add up. I made 168 points on one OhmHour and 230 on another, and I am only on a 9 streak!

@mrfloyd77j Stick with it. I started this in June and wondered why people bothered, but you can get past those OhmHours that pay under $1 in a couple months. Besides getting more for keeping your streak, try flipping off your circuit breakers and using no electricity at all. You'll get a good return on that and hopefully feel more motivated. You can improve the number of tokens you get by investing in some smart plugs and posting a pic on instagram during your OhmHour. Think of it as a game. Try to level up and beat your "score" every OhmHour. My last 3 OhmHours were: 789, 403 and 593. 1785 points! Hang in there a couple more months before giving up.

• @No Pain No Gain said:
    @mrfloyd77j Stick with it. I started this in June and wondered why people bothered, but you can get past those OhmHours that pay under $1 in a couple months. Besides getting more for keeping your streak, try flipping off your circuit breakers and using no electricity at all. You'll get a good return on that and hopefully feel more motivated. You can improve the number of tokens you get by investing in some smart plugs and posting a pic on instagram during your OhmHour. Think of it as a game. Try to level up and beat your "score" every OhmHour. My last 3 OhmHours were: 789, 403 and 593. 1785 points! Hang in there a couple more months before giving up.

Excellent suggestions!

OhmHours are getting to be really fun with the addition of Instagram tokens and the Buddy program! I keep forgetting to post an Instagram pic during my OH, so I set a reminder on my phone. Don't want to miss those tokens. Getting closer to the Baseline Boost! :smiley:

• So great to hear @No Pain No Gain !

• Erik B. AndersonErik B. Anderson Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2018

I turned all my breakers off but one during the mega Ohm Hour this week. The only device that was consuming any electricity at all was my refrigerator, and it STILL says I went above my forecast and now my #OhmHour streak ended at 15. I've been diligently working on every ohmhour for six months. Only missed it twice before this and one of those times was my mistake. The other was because the email alerts never came until after the hour was over. If I cash out now, I'll get $15.35. This is some b******t [inappropriate language censored by MOD @AKPsi Vince ].

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoMember, Moderator Posts: 1,625
    Take a deep breath and relax.

Updates occur regularly so give it a few days for any data issues to get sorted out. Confirm OC is showing the same as your utility....most of these issues are the fault of the utility. IF here's an issue OC will make it right.