What do YOU do during an #OhmHour?

1235»

Comments

• Erik B. AndersonErik B. Anderson Member Posts: 6

Oh great, now it says on the website that I earned 304 points, when the email I got said I earned -18 points with no follow up email to tell me that they obtained the correct information even though I emailed and posted on this forum about it. I've been worried sick about it for almost a whole week now. Y'all should email people when the wrong information is corrected or something. What an awful week I've had over this.

• No Pain No GainNo Pain No Gain 93035Member Posts: 404
    edited June 2018

@Erik B. Anderson Someone on another thread said they turned off everything except their fridge and had the same result as you. They went over their forecast. The refrigerator is the first thing you should turn off. It uses a lot of energy. I have TP-link smart plugs on my fridges, so when there's an OhmHour, I know for sure I will beat my forecast... even if there are electronics and lights on. OhmConnect turns smart plugs off remotely, so I don't have to worry if I'm not home for an OhmHour. My streak is up to 74, thanks to smart plugs on my refrigerators.

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoMember, Moderator Posts: 1,625
    edited June 2018

@Erik B. Anderson The utilities are notorious for getting the data wrong but it ultimately gets corrected one way or another. Don't forget where OC gets their data. It comes from YOUR utility. They don't know what you did and the source of truth they rely on is that data which as we know can change from day to day. The points automatically correct themselves and I don't feel it's not possible for them to email each and every person when the data changes. If you see something that's incorrect on your dashboard, don't panic! Give it a couple of days for the correct data to filter through and if after a few days OC reports different data to that your utility shows, follow up at that point.

• I thought this was really interesting post and definitely more an incentive to leave my place alone and start changing my lifestyle. Please read it here.

• tien-leetien-lee Member Posts: 2

I thought less than 1 kwh forecast was ridiculous, turns out the floor is 0. I applaud you guys setting such high virtue and goal, however, in practice this is not realistic, and I anticipate only few will actually attempt this kind of draconian challenge. Count me out.

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoMember, Moderator Posts: 1,625

@tien-lee said:
    I thought less than 1 kwh forecast was ridiculous, turns out the floor is 0. I applaud you guys setting such high virtue and goal, however, in practice this is not realistic, and I anticipate only few will actually attempt this kind of draconian challenge. Count me out.

You wouldn't flip the breaker to get in the draw to win $100,000?

• tien-leetien-lee Member Posts: 2

@UkiwiS said:
    You wouldn't flip the breaker to get in the draw to win $100,000?

ironically, when i was single and can't afford my own breaker, probably I would. Now, with a full house, that's no longer my choice nor power.

• OhmPaycheckOhmPaycheck Member Posts: 8
    We usually go for an evening walk during Ohm hours and/or we do yardwork outside. This gives me a chance to spend more time outside, doing things I love, while helping the environment by turning our power/electricity off inside.
  • cookie-frannycookie-franny Member Posts: 1

I want to say thank you again for responding to my concerns about my energy use on 8/24. After reviewing my use on PGE website and talking to my roommate I finally figured out the reason for the drastic increase, I had cleaned my hot tub and was warming it up. Oops. Learned my lesson! I finally got my smart plug programmed and plugged into my freezer. Anxious to see how it works tomorrow. Like some of your other members I usually avoid using any major appliances and read on my precharged kindle. Was doing quite good until the 24th. Oh well, start over.

• ajeppajepp Member Posts: 1
    We’ve been having 99° weather so when we turn the AC off, we take the grandkids for a Jeep ride!!
  • michellelbmichellelb Member Posts: 1

I read a suggestion article that said one light didn't necessarily put you over the limit for an OH, so IF I am home....it seems quite often on Fridays I am not home anyway so I save by not even being there using energy: however, if I am home I try and shut off most unnecessary lights; ceiling fan, nightlights, scented wax melter, tv, clock radio, and use one light in the kitchen to read a magazine or catch up on games with my phone that I can't do when at work in the daytime. Sometimes all the things I turn off and unplug even offsets the tv they use and the light. But sometimes I have to cook- OH or not, and with an electric range I cook as quickly as I can so I am ending the cooking and starting to plate my food just as OH starts or just as it is ending I start the actual cooking of the meal. I have a small apartment- myself plus 2, where we pay electricity- so this works for me.

• SrelazSrelaz FullertonMember Posts: 123
    edited October 2019

I now sit an wonder if this is worth the trouble, $1.37 payout on my last Ohmhour with a 98% reduction....