Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Bronze #OhmHours have now been released! Anyone who has a status of Bronze must TELL US HOW YOU'RE SAVING in order for a chance to win prizes. You won't earn or lose points, but you've got to respond to your alerts! Read more in the post.

Team Badges

Steve ReedSteve Reed Posts: 41Member
edited February 5 in The Basics

With the "Drive an EV alone the Nile" badge we got this week, the SolarSavers team is extremely close to earning all the available badges. :)

We are only missing the last "#Ohmhour Totals" badge, which I assume is something like 1000kWh saved, and the very first "Best #Ohmhours" badge, which I cannot figure out.

Based on the pattern, it looks like the missing badge would be for a 0 kWh reduction, but we definitely passed that one up. Any Ideas?

Tagged:

Comments

• SrelazSrelaz FullertonPosts: 12Member

At least your "Most Start Devices Used During Single #OhmHour" works for your team. I had 6 devices dispatch during the last #OhnHour myself but only the 2 badge is showing on our team. Somehow some of these badges are being missed.

• That Son Of A BitzThat Son Of A Bitz Union CityPosts: 557Moderator
    @Steve Reed I'm not sure what's going on with your badge situation, so you should contact OC support directly and then just report back on the forums what you find.

Thanks for sharing! The accomplishments your team has made is amazing! I'm assuming it's because you have so many members and a lot of them have significant savings during OH's.

What's the key to your success with building such a large team? How do you get the word out to recruit new members? Facebook, Twitter, etc. And what have you found to be the best channel to do so? I think one of the main challenges for team captains to building their team is overcoming the perception that this is too good to be true and it's scam. It's also challenging to explain how OC and demand response works in a way that makes it easy to understand. I'm guessing that based on the size of your team that you and your members have found a successful approach to overcoming these 2 challenges.

Any tips you can share would be greatly appreciated!
  • Steve ReedSteve Reed Posts: 41Member

@Srelaz said:
    At least your "Most Start Devices Used During Single #OhmHour" works for your team. I had 6 devices dispatch during the last #OhnHour myself but only the 2 badge is showing on our team. Somehow some of these badges are being missed.

The team goal for most smart devices seems to be all over the place. sometime it says out team goal is 2 devices, sometime 20. but we must have gotten at the right time since all the badges are there now.

@That Son Of A Bitz said:

What's the key to your success with building such a large team? How do you get the word out to recruit new members? Facebook, Twitter, etc. And what have you found to be the best channel to do so?

Originally, most of the team members where just my referrals, but at some point I started having fun with it, and invited anyone who wanted to join, just to see what would happen with a huge team. we were the largest for a while, until "Temecula Valley Wino's" and "Everything that's GREEN" blew past us :)

For referral to Ohmconnect, I pretty much only recruit friends and coworkers, that way I can explain the program personally and answer questions, etc.

Thanks @Steve Reed! Nice news article and picture of you and your audio clip online!

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2017/feb/13/news-numbers-getting-cash-turning-your-lights-san-/

Looks like you're an OhmConnect celebrity!
    edited February 14

Thanks. It was fun to do. It was very casual. We basically had a long, pleasant conversation about Ohmconnect, which they recorded on audio and video tape, and uses bits of that for the web, TV and radio stories.

I do wish they left in the part about turning off the AC or Heat either manually or with an ohmhour controlled smart thermostat, since that is one of the biggest and easiest ways to reduce for many people.

Also, I wish the interview was this week instead of last. The desk in the picture was refinished just days after the picture was taken. :)

Lol! What channel/show was the TV segment played on? Did I just miss it on the webpage that had the article and audio clip?

@That Son Of A Bitz said:
    Lol! What channel/show was the TV segment played on? Did I just miss it on the webpage that had the article and audio clip?

http://www.cbs8.com/story/34496629/getting-cash-for-turning-off-your-lights-in-san-diego

edited February 17

Solarsavers earned the "Basketball court of solar" badge this week. So now we're only missing the 0kWh badge. :)

Nice! But now how the heck are you going to get the 0kWh badge? That seems like a silly badge and they should get rid of it and then your team can say they got it all. Unless I'm missing something here, it doesn't appear to serve any purpose.

It sounds like OC needs to start making new badges for your team to earn. Like something having to do with outerspace and a metric involving the moon.

@Kate from OhmConnect what do you think about giving the team who earned every badge the opportunity and privilege to suggest or create the next level badge? It seems like a cool thing to do that would get that team engaged more. And I don't know about anyone else, but I think I'd work even harder to reach a goal and earn a badge that I created
  • Kate from OhmConnectKate from OhmConnect Posts: 906Administrator

A possibility ;) We haven't worked on badges for a while @That Son Of A Bitz and @Steve Reed though we're internally in love w/ the fact that Steve is such a completionist!

We can take a look if this serves as a good motivator to people, though I'm not sure.

Let's set up a poll to see how many people follow the badges...

Ultimately, I'm not sure if team badges are the best motivator, since they are out of each person's individual control, and the teams vary so widely in size, some badges are not achievable by some teams no matter how motivated the members are.

Personal achievement badges might be better. I really like the new streaks bonus since they encourage consistency, but they go away after one missed day (which is often outside our control). Even the max streak counter only measures participation, not the max kWh saved, etc.

• Kate from OhmConnectKate from OhmConnect Posts: 906Administrator

@Steve Reed You can break your streak after one--but I've heard that this is a really motivating factor. Sounds like you agree!

You are right about the max kWh-- this is an interesting idea. I'll let the team know about this to see what they think.