Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Bronze #OhmHours have now been released! Anyone who has a status of Bronze must TELL US HOW YOU'RE SAVING in order for a chance to win prizes. You won't earn or lose points, but you've got to respond to your alerts! Read more in the post.

New option on dashboard "#OhmHours in a row"?

KarenEKarenE Posts: 24Member
edited February 13 in General Discussion

I just logged on and saw this new option displayed on the dashboard.

It currently states :

Get below your forecast for multiple #OhmHours in a row to earn extra bonuses.

Personal Record: 3 in a row

And it currently shows me at 0 #OhmHours in a row (which is incorrect and I assume it means since this program / reward option started).

So here are my questions

• What counts as an OhmHour in this context - is it participation or is it getting positive points
  • Does non participation in an OhmHour count against you
  • What are the bonuses
  • How often are the bonuses awarded - for example I am at 0 right now and my personal record is 3 - do I get a bonus when I match or beat that record. Once I have attained that goal‚ how is the next one met / set?

Best Answer

Answers

• JoeyJoey Posts: 8Member

I'm a bit confused by this as well. Mine says my personal record is 2, but just above it in my dashboard I've got 4 in a row. Also, how come it shows 0 as the number of ohm hours in a row?

• KarenEKarenE Posts: 24Member

@curtistongue said:
    Hi Karen - yes, this is a new feature we just released for users who earn points (i.e., are Silver or higher status level.) Excited that you noticed. Here are some quick answers:

1. An #OhmHour will only count towards your streak if you successfully save energy (i.e., earn positive points) during the event.
    2. Opting-out of the #OhmHour will break your streak.
    3. +5% for each #OhmHour on the streak. For instance, for your first #OhmHour on a streak, you'll earn +0% bonus points. For your second #OhmHour on a streak, you'll earn +5%, for your third #OhmHour +10%, and so on.
    4. You'll start earning the streak bonuses as soon as you start another streak. You don't need to beat your previous streak to start earning another round of streak bonuses.

OK... so how and when is it paid. And is it + 5%‚ 10% etc... for each points you earn on the streak or is it +5% points on the first‚ +10% on the second etc?

• That Son Of A BitzThat Son Of A Bitz Union CityPosts: 479Moderator
    The bonuses are only for each individual OhmHour, not in aggregate.

For instance, if you saved energy during your 1st OhmHour and earned 100 points, there's no bonus because you don't have a streak yet.

But with your 2nd Consecutive OhmHour of energy savings, the bonus is 5%, so if you earned 100 points, you get another 5 pts, 105 pts in all.

For the 3rd consecutive OH, the bonus is 10%, so if you earned another 100 points, you would get 10 bonus points, 110 points altogether.

In this example, you would would earn 15 bonus points on top of the 300 points you earned from energy savings for these 3 OH's.

Bonus point percentages do not apply to points earned in previous OH's. So going back to this example, even though there's a 10% bonus for the 3rd OH in the streak, it's not 10% of all of the 300 points you earned between all 3 OH's.

@That Son Of A Bitz said:
    The bonuses are only for each individual OhmHour, not in aggregate.

For instance, if you saved energy during your 1st OhmHour and earned 100 points, there's no bonus because you don't have a streak yet.

But with your 2nd Consecutive OhmHour of energy savings, the bonus is 5%, so if you earned 100 points, you get another 5 pts, 105 pts in all.

For the 3rd consecutive OH, the bonus is 10%, so if you earned another 100 points, you would get 10 bonus points, 110 points altogether.

In this example, you would would earn 15 bonus points on top of the 300 points you earned from energy savings for these 3 OH's.

Bonus point percentages do not apply to points earned in previous OH's. So going back to this example, even though there's a 10% bonus for the 3rd OH in the streak, it's not 10% of all of the 300 points you earned between all 3 OH's.

Is there a max percentage you can earn (example 10th consecutive = 45%‚ 21st consecutive = 100%)?

I don't know. I think it's only up to 9 and 40%. @Kate from OhmConnect can you please clarify? It would be awesome if you get so many in a row that your points are doubled!
  • joshwindersjoshwinders Posts: 7Member
    I have 12 in a row with 60% bonus right now.

@joshwinders said:

Can you post a screen capture / image / details of that? I thought the program only just started and everyone was at 0 originally. As of the yesterday I received my first one

• Kate from OhmConnectKate from OhmConnect Posts: 807Administrator

Hey @Joey:

When this feature was launched, all users started at 0 in a row. So, you won't get credit for your streaks before this was rolled out. Starting...now!

@joshwinders said:

Congrats @joshwinders - that's excellent!

I don't know. I think it's only up to 9 and 40%. @Kate from OhmConnect can you please clarify? It would be awesome if you get so many in a row that your points are doubled!

No upper limit!

What's your max Vince? I know you've gotten many in a row ;)

@Kate from OhmConnect

@Kate from OhmConnect said:

@joshwinders said:

How is this possible if the feature was only just rolled out? I noticed this feature for the first time several days ago and have had 2 OhmHours since (one not recorded yet). I am platinum and have over 10 consecutive OhmHours that I have received points on. So something here does not add up

@KarenE In some instances, you may have saved during an OH, yet the savings are so small (0.001 kWh), that it's not enough to award points (maybe in the future OC will consider awarding fractions of a point to give the user some kind of monetary sense of achievement.).

Also, OC has put out at least 1 communication about this new streak system over a month ago, which a lot of users may not have noticed and so you and others may have discovered it recently if at all. And you wouldn't know if you've had streaks and gotten bonuses in the past because if you have one OH that you opt out or don't save, they're wiped out without any trace that they were there.

Personally, for the sake of transparency, I'd like to see historical numbers for streaks i.e. During your 2/2 OH, you saved #kWh, earned #points, 3rd streak, so your bonus is at 10%, you got # bonus points for a total of #pointd during this OH. But in a more abbreviated excel format kind of way.

@Kate from OhmConnect Any chance your team is already considering doing this?

@That Son Of A Bitz

That explanation doesn't add up...

Here is a snapshot of my most recent ohmHours that I just downloaded

2017-02-11 Rewards For Demand Response 8 0
    2017-02-07 Rewards For Demand Response 83 0
    2017-02-04 Rewards For Demand Response 174 0
    2017-02-04 Rewards For Demand Response 109 0
    2017-01-30 Rewards For Demand Response 106 0
    2017-01-25 Rewards For Demand Response 35 0
    2017-01-24 Rewards For Demand Response 90 0
    2017-01-20 Rewards For Demand Response 14 0
    2017-01-18 Rewards For Demand Response 90 0

There is also an issue with the last reported ohmHour that I have contacted @Kate from OhmConnect via messaging about

Yeah, based on your OhmHour #s, that doesn't make sense to me either. Glad you're working with OC directly for support.
    @KarenE It looks like there may also be an issue with download history.

My dashboard shows I have a streak of 7 as well as the number of points for these OhmHours, but my download history shows 0 for regular points and 0 for bonus points for these 7 OHs and beyond.

Anyone else experiencing an issue with points showing up in your download history?

@Kate from OhmConnect is it just me or has your team discovered an issue with download history for other users?

@KarenE It looks like there may also be an issue with download history.

My dashboard shows I have a streak of 7 as well as the number of points for these OhmHours, but my download history shows 0 for regular points and 0 for bonus points for these 7 OHs and beyond.

Anyone else experiencing an issue with points showing up in your download history?

@Kate from OhmConnect is it just me or has your team discovered an issue with download history for other users?

@That Son Of A Bitz - the data in the download matches the data on the dashboard for me. The issue I have is that the last reported ohmHour changed the forecasted rate when it was posted - the email indicated

_Your expected use during this hour is 1.65 kWh. _

The data when updated on the dashboard for the ohmHour shows

1.257 kWh Forecasted use

So those two figures are way apart for me

@KarenE The reason for this is that your forecast is based on a rolling average and the data that OC gets from your utility is at least 1-2 days old and the notification you get the day before an OH will not include the energy data of that day. So in essence, if get an alert the day before an OH, but you were blasting the AC higher than usual the previous 1-2 days and/or later that day (assuming OH is after the time you get the notice), your forecast can dramatically increase and based on your use for the 2-3 days before the OhmHour, your forecast can also decrease.

And this is also why the forecast in your day ahead alert can can be different than the one you get right before the OH.

Make sense?

Unfortunately, that's just the way it is. Too bad the good people at OC or the utilities can't predict the future. But then again, neither can your local weather person either

@KarenE The reason for this is that your forecast is based on a rolling average and the data that OC gets from your utility is at least 1-2 days old and the notification you get the day before an OH will not include the energy data of that day. So in essence, if get an alert the day before an OH, but you were blasting the AC higher than usual the previous 1-2 days and/or later that day (assuming OH is after the time you get the notice), your forecast can dramatically increase and based on your use for the 2-3 days before the OhmHour, your forecast can also decrease.

And this is also why the forecast in your day ahead alert can can be different than the one you get right before the OH.

Make sense?

Unfortunately, that's just the way it is. Too bad the good people at OC or the utilities can't predict the future. But then again, neither can your local weather person either

@That Son Of A Bitz

That renders this program literally useless... I am given a benchmark of X as to what I am expected to save power based on. Then lo and behold that threshold has been cut in this case by literally 1/3. So where I should have received a comfortable margin of reaching my goal - I now barely make it.

I have never seen a variation that I have noticed before between what was given in the email and what was reported in the actual results and that would lead me to conclude that if there was indeed a difference it was marginal and not this significant.

I have to say that sadly I feel that our faith in this system is diminishing. There seems to be an ever growing lack of transparency or even the remotest attempt to clearly indicate policies or changes that affect the users. At best the relationship is reactive and certainly not pro-active.

Hi @KarenE Thanks for your comments. You raise a some good questions, and Vince has done a great job explaining here.

As he states, we only have information that's at least 2 days behind based on what's sent to us by your utility. In most cases, the forecast that is sent is extremely accurate-I would say within .2kWh. In your case, the difference between 1.65 and 1.25 should still give you a sense of how much energy you're using and how much you need to aim to reduce. The estimate is meant as a guideline only. If you can reduce more, you should-- that will help the grid, and help you earn more points.

I'm sorry to hear that you faith is diminishing. My hope is that by explaining how we give you this information, you can understand how best to use the information.

Happy to chat more offline.

@Kate from OhmConnect - I sent a message via the chat system yesterday with the details - I can discuss there now if you are available

@KarenE said:
    @Kate from OhmConnect

@joshwinders said:

How is this possible if the feature was only just rolled out? I noticed this feature for the first time several days ago and have had 2 OhmHours since (one not recorded yet). I am platinum and have over 10 consecutive OhmHours that I have received points on. So something here does not add up

Hey @KarenE - a small percentage of our users were exposed to this feature before it was launched more broadly. Much like other products (Facebook, to name one) OhmConnect is experimenting with different features at different times to see how they fares. In this case, Josh would have been exposed before you.

Hey @Joey:

When this feature was launched, all users started at 0 in a row. So, you won't get credit for your streaks before this was rolled out. Starting...now!

That makes sense, but I'm confused because in my screenshot it says "personal record: 2 in a row" if it just started shouldn't that say 0? If not, where is the 2 even coming from, because just above that in my dashboard screenshot I've got 4 in a row.

Hey @Joey - it should say 0, yes. Did you just get two #OhmHours this weekend though?

@Kate from OhmConnect I did, my widget has been updated from "0" to "1" because the Friday one is still pending along with Monday's, but below that it still says the personal record of 2. Which should say 1 now right? or 4?
    I'm just really aware of my number in a row right now cause I'm working on the 9 or of 10 for platinum.

If you only got Streaks on Friday, it should only be at 1...

If you only got Streaks on Friday, it should only be at 1...

its pulling that "2" from somewhere strange then.