Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Introducing Streaks!

Kate from OhmConnectKate from OhmConnect Posts: 967Administrator

Those of you who've logged in to see your Dashboard recently may have noticed a new widget: Streaks! With Streaks, we're helping you keep track of how many #OhmHours in a row in which you've successfully reduced. You'll notice that the longer your streak, the larger the bonus we'll apply to your next #OhmHour points.

A Few Things to Keep in Mind
* If you OPT OUT of an #OhmHour, you will break your streak
* If you get 0 points or negative points, you will break your streak

In order to offer this incentive to all users, we've eliminated the grace threshold for users who went over their forecast by .2kWh. Previously, we didn't issue negative points for users who were just barely over. Now, with Streaks available for al users, you may see negative points if you go over your forecast at any amount.

Comments

• Steve ReedSteve Reed Posts: 105Member

Cool. I'm up to 25% bonus point now.

I'm not sure how long that will continue, since with solar I may have to opt out for daytime ohmhours on cloudy days, but so far I like the new system.

• Kate from OhmConnectKate from OhmConnect Posts: 967Administrator

That's great @Steve Reed! It is harder for solar users. I was just chatting with @Qwantom Mekanic about this.

• JoeyJoey Posts: 11Member

@Kate from OhmConnect How/when are streak bonuses applied? According to my dashboard/ points download file I haven't received any bonus, even though I'm on streak 3.

• SummerSummer Posts: 113Member
    Same
  • UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 687Member, Moderator

Same here.

• Amber LambAmber Lamb Kern CountyPosts: 27Member
    edited February 17

It seems they only started counting when the rolled the new program out (that is how it seems for me at least). I think it is a great idea/incentive.

edited February 17

I just leveled up from Gold to Platinum last night...woohoo.

I have not received the $50 Bonus for achieving the Platinum level.

The dashboard says I'm at 5 #OhmHours in a row with a personal record of 7 in a row. A quick check shows I'm currently at NINE....why is there a disconnect here? I've also been showing a percentage bonus for the last few but points download shows zeroes in the "Streak Bonus" column. My last 4 should have received a 5, 10, 15 and finally 20% bonus, even based on the incorrect figures. They should be higher if my streak is even longer...why are they zero?

• Steve ESteve E Posts: 211Member, Moderator

@2uskiwis@gmail.com said:
    I just leveled up from Gold to Platinum last night...woohoo.

I have not received the $50 Bonus for achieving the Platinum level.

The dashboard says I'm at 5 #OhmHours in a row with a personal record of 7 in a row. A quick check shows I'm currently at NINE....why is there a disconnect here? I've also been showing a percentage bonus for the last few but points download shows zeroes in the "Streak Bonus" column. My last 4 should have received a 5, 10, 15 and finally 20% bonus, even based on the incorrect figures. They should be higher if my streak is even longer...why are they zero?

I think I got my platinum award within a couple of days of the goal being achieved‚ so I would imagine it will happen very shortly for you as well.

The streaks are a new feature and were rolled out from what I understand at different times to different people. Your own streak is the one that is shown on the dashboard currently‚ it started from when the feature was rolled out for you and it does not include events prior to that (so that is why it does not show 9 - we are over 10 consecutive qualifying OhmHours and the feature was only rolled out to us around a week or so ago so our current streak is 3).

I believe there is a current issue regarding the awarding of bonus points that they are aware of and working on.

Karen, thanks for the info. I wondered if the info on the streak was due to it being a recent introduction. If you are correct, then my "personal record" should not be 7, right? Perhaps that has different rules again.

@2uskiwis@gmail.com said:
    Karen, thanks for the info. I wondered if the info on the streak was due to it being a recent introduction. If you are correct, then my "personal record" should not be 7, right? Perhaps that has different rules again.

I started with a personal record of 3 - I think you can pretty much disregard whatever the initial value for that is. From what I understand it has no real bearing on anything. Once your current streak ends you revert back to 0 on your current streak and start over again earning incremental 5% bonuses for each hour in the streak‚ the personal record is really just a benchmark or target for you to try and beat and it doesn't affect your new streak (as in your new streak doesn't start until you match that or anything like that)

@KarenE - if you break your streak, it will set back to 0, that's correct.

Remember, for those of you that just received this new feature on Friday, it started at 0!

@Amber Lamb said:
    It seems they only started counting when the rolled the new program out (that is how it seems for me at least). I think it is a great idea/incentive.

Thanks Amber! Internally we have a fierce competition!

edited February 17

@Joey said:
    @Kate from OhmConnect How/when are streak bonuses applied? According to my dashboard/ points download file I haven't received any bonus, even though I'm on streak 3.

Hey @Summer et al- There is a known issue where these showing 0 on the CSV and this is a high-priority item for us to fix! Points are being issued, it's just not showing as such!

• SummerSummer Posts: 113Member
    Okay thanks kate
  • I like the idea of STREAKS. What a great incentive. I'm really enjoying saving our planet through Ohmhours (even with the little quirks of being a new thing). We have to start somewhere folks. This planet won't save itself-we have to help it. ;-)
  • snetphiliesnetphilie ConcordPosts: 133Member, Moderator

Really happy with this new program. This is very good for already energy conscious users like myself (forecasts averaging 0.210 lately and using 0.066 and roughly 0.048 of that is powering the smart devices that are turning things off for me!). I can maintain a streak nearly indefinitely, except for the occasional last minute OhmHour when I don't have my phone on me and just put something in the oven!. Since I save so little energy, maintaining a streak is the only way to earn a significant number of points and is a very good incentive for me to make an effort to save every OhmHour. Great job folks!

• DayaDaya Posts: 1Member
    Cool am upto 15% now

So happy to hear this @Daya, @snetphilie, @Pinkfrog.tw@gmail.com

@That Son Of A Bitz - what's your longest streak so far??

• AKPsi VinceAKPsi Vince Union CityPosts: 971Moderator
    edited February 21

And technically, since there are no limits, a user could potential get to 100% or more in bonus points to double or even triple their points if they have a long enough streak, correct?

@That Son Of A Bitz said:

And technically, since there are no limits, a user could potential get to 100% or more in bonus points to double or even triple their points if they have a long enough streak, correct?

Yes, you are right, there is no cap so technically if you were on an unbeaten streak of 40 your bonus for the next ohmhour would be 200%.

So let's all help each other get to a streak of 21 to 40, so we can all earn double to triple our OH points! Everyone wins!
    @Kate from OhmConnect in another thread about streaks, you mentioned you knew someone that is currently on a streak of 35. Any chance this person can post about how he/she did it? So 1) we know he/she is real lol, and 2) we can get nuggets of advice from someone who has done it and can provide tips on how we can do it too.

Not that my current streak is that high (currently at 5 for 25%) but the # of consecutive positive OhmHours we have now is 16 - you can view this for your own data by downloading the data from the dashboard. I have edited the data below to only show the values for Demand Response. Our last negative event was on 01/07/2017 and we have participated in all events. If we had been enrolled in the streaks program for the entirety of this data we would currently be at 75%. When we get notification for OhmHours we turn off lights‚ heaters‚ TVs and Computers and if at all possible use that time to go and run errands or walk the dogs or some other such outdoor activity. By prior participation in OhmHours we have come to learn what we have to do to get to a certain level of consumption (as in what devices we can turn off to achieve this) and if the estimate is within a certain range that target for us is fairly easy to achieve.

We have a fairly high consumption level due to certain factors including having an elderly person in the house that requires lights on all the time (more or less) and a TV and more often than not either a heater or A/C. This also includes having to do at least one full load of laundry daily. So there are certain things (such as laundry) that we have a window for completing and certain things we consider more essential that we need to keep that we juggle to get below our anticipated usage.

I also find it very useful to look at the daily data on the SCE (our utility company) website that let's us view our data by the hour for a selected day. By going through that data I can pretty much tell what affects our consumption and tailor our usage around events from there. We have also adopted practices such as turning lights down when we are out of the house (we leave lights on for the dogs in the evenings) as we have dimmer switches on all the main rooms and just being more aware of our usage overall and being more diligent about turning things off than we had been previously.

2017-02-20 Rewards For Demand Response 242 0
    2017-02-18 Rewards For Demand Response 85 0
    2017-02-14 Rewards For Cash 0
    2017-02-14 Rewards For Demand Response 171 0
    2017-02-13 Rewards For Demand Response 162 0
    2017-02-11 Rewards For Demand Response 8 0
    2017-02-07 Rewards For Demand Response 83 0
    2017-02-04 Rewards For Demand Response 174 0
    2017-02-04 Rewards For Demand Response 109 0
    2017-01-30 Rewards For Demand Response 106 0
    2017-01-25 Rewards For Demand Response 35 0
    2017-01-24 Rewards For Demand Response 90 0
    2017-01-20 Rewards For Demand Response 14 0
    2017-01-18 Rewards For Demand Response 90 0
    2017-01-11 Rewards For Cash 0
    2017-01-11 Rewards For Facebook Invites 0
    2017-01-11 Rewards For Reaching Tier Levels 0
    2017-01-11 Rewards For Demand Response 244 0
    2017-01-11 Rewards For Demand Response 198 0
    2017-01-08 Rewards For Reaching Tier Levels 0
    2017-01-07 Rewards For Demand Response 119 0
    2017-01-07 Rewards For Demand Response -42 0

@Kate from OhmConnect in another thread about streaks, you mentioned you knew someone that is currently on a streak of 35. Any chance this person can post about how he/she did it? So 1) we know he/she is real lol, and 2) we can get nuggets of advice from someone who has done it and can provide tips on how we can do it too.

I thought streaks were only introduced recently and were not "backdated"? Perhaps they were rolled out at different times? I asked the question as I was showing a streak of 3 or 4 but I think at the time I had just attained Platinum and was showing 9 consecutive events in the panel. As of right now I have 7 in a row and I'm at 35%. Those numbers should both increase today . I also just jumped back to platinum after being back at silver for a couple of days due to not having an event saving > 1kWh in the last 90 days. Today I'm expecting to break my event record of 254 points when yesterday's event posts. #WOOHOO #WINNING

edited February 22

Sorry for the confusion @2uskiwis@gmail.com - a small portion of users was shown this feature early on, including internal folks ;)

And yes!! winning for sure!!!

@KarenE said:
    By prior participation in OhmHours we have come to learn what we have to do to get to a certain level of consumption (as in what devices we can turn off to achieve this) and if the estimate is within a certain range that target for us is fairly easy to achieve.

Steve this is awesome to hear! Our goal is to help users understand what is using electricity (among other things). You've really become an expert!

I'll see if I can get my colleague to post on here ;)

I'd like to make a suggestion for streaks. If our consumption for an #OhmHour is less than zero I think we should maintain our streak, even if we don't reduce our use for that event. Obviously, this will only impact Solar customers. Since we are not using ANY electricity should we be penalized if it's a cloudy day that impacts our generation? This is totally beyond our control and NOTHING we do will help if our forecast was based on previous sunny days.

Thanks for the suggestion-- I can recommend this to the Product team, but it's unlikely to occur. We actually made a change to make sure that Streaks align with how users achieve Platinum because we found that differences caused a lot of confusion.

I know it's hard for solar users like you. I think I've probably already told you, but right now CAISO doesn't actually allow us to monetize Solar users, so there isn't actually any baseline calculation that exists to take weather into account. OhmConnect believes that Solar should be allowed, so we pay solar users out even if we can't receive payment for your reductions. Sigh. We are lobbying the CPUC to move in the direction of the future...

@Kate from OhmConnect said:
    Thanks for the suggestion-- I can recommend this to the Product team, but it's unlikely to occur. We actually made a change to make sure that Streaks align with how users achieve Platinum because we found that differences caused a lot of confusion.

I know it's hard for solar users like you. I think I've probably already told you, but right now CAISO doesn't actually allow us to monetize Solar users, so there isn't actually any baseline calculation that exists to take weather into account. OhmConnect believes that Solar should be allowed, so we pay solar users out even if we can't receive payment for your reductions. Sigh. We are lobbying the CPUC to move in the direction of the future...

Oh that's no good. So you are not remunerated for any of our savings even if they occur at a time after dark when we are not generating?