Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Bronze #OhmHours have now been released! Anyone who has a status of Bronze must TELL US HOW YOU'RE SAVING in order for a chance to win prizes. You won't earn or lose points, but you've got to respond to your alerts! Read more in the post.

Fair compensation for low energy users

Like many who have expressed frustration with OC I am a low electricity user. My forecast usage is usually 0.07-0.1 KW/hr. At this rate I can never reach Gold or Platinum as there is no possibility of my achieving a 1 KW/hr reduction in power usage.

But I consistently achieve a 50% reduction in predicted power usage during the OhmHours (generally by turning off my refrigerator, all lights and all power strips). I feel that those of us that can do this should be more fairly compensated for our efforts - similar to those whose baseline usage is 2-10 fold of ours. Perhaps OC would consider using a percentage reduction in use rather than actual KW-hours for rewarding low energy users?

What does the community think? Would appreciate a thoughtful answer from OC.

Best Answer

Answers

• The reason that I bring this up is that those that reduce their energy use (and carbon footprint) the most are the ones most likely to adopt programs like OhmConnect and be its biggest cheerleaders to help encourage those who live a more wasteful lifestyle to reduce their energy consumption.

• That Son Of A BitzThat Son Of A Bitz Union CityPosts: 479Moderator
    Yes. And that's great!
  • cdhen12cdhen12 Posts: 1Member

I was just thinking the same thing...that I will never level up based on saving 1kWh during OhmHour because my forecast usage is so low. I agree with changing this to a percentage saved. Reward your biggest cheerleaders and we'll continue to drive people to your site. How can we tell our friends you can make money when we're actually not able to?