Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Longest streak?

I am at 14 successful #OhmHours in a row. What's the record?

Comments

• AKPsi VinceAKPsi Vince Union CityPosts: 944Moderator
    edited February 18
    I think it was 13... And anybody who can get to 21 and keep saving will start getting double their points due to the bonus.

@Kate from OhmConnect You said there are no maximum of streaks, so let's say someone gets to 41 OHs in a row (highly unlikely tho), does that mean someone's points would essentially be tripled? In other words, can users participate in enough consecutive OH's, that their bonus points could be greater than 100%?
  • Kate from OhmConnectKate from OhmConnect Posts: 1,002Administrator

@That Son Of A Bitz there is NO max! Someone I know has a streak of 35.......

• joshwindersjoshwinders Posts: 10Member
    Wow! Impressive
  • Steve ReedSteve Reed Posts: 98Member

Wow 35?

They must have started before streaks were available to everyone. There have not even been 35 Ohmhours for me since streaks started. :)

I will be at only 10 with the Ohmhour last night.

• Richard strangeRichard strange SoCalPosts: 57Member
    edited February 22

I think if I didn't have Solar, that I would be able to easily keep going on the streak bonuses.

I would love to see that Ohmconnect could work out a better system for us solar users that maybe affected by weather patterns etc to make it fair.

Perhaps some sort of compromise whereby our connected devices (nest, juiceboxes and TPlink switches etc) are monitored for their state perhaps to see that they were off and that we may have made an immediate reduction (based on the last hours data) despite low PV cell output maybe.

Its not fair to have to opt out due to this and lose our streaks whilst actually still participating in reality. I could accept losing points perhaps, but resetting the streak clock is like rubbing salt in the wound. Even if I'm not using any high loads like EV charging or AC, I can still always achieve a .5 kWh reduction, but this can get skewed by PV production.

Its counter intuitive because when we are forced to opt out, the reality is that we will likely not bother trying to make reductions. Imagine I was using a high load like AC and EV charging at the same time, that's potentially a 15 kWh reduction that I'm not going to be willing to bother to make since I'm about to lose all my streaks.

I understand, @Sarah Strange - definitely. The trouble, as I posted over here, is that the CAISO doesn't actually work with solar users, but OhmConnect does. So, we're limited by the system in which we work (and are paid).

We are lobbying the CPUC to include solar users, but unfortunately until regulations change, we're a bit limited.

• Steve ReedSteve Reed Posts: 98Member
    edited February 24

@Kate from OhmConnect said:
    I understand, @Sarah Strange - definitely. The trouble, as I posted over here, is that the CAISO doesn't actually work with solar users, but OhmConnect does. So, we're limited by the system in which we work (and are paid).

I assume streaks are not CPUC rules, so there should be some flexibility in their definition.

Maybe there could be some sort of compromise, where solar users can opt out once in a while without destroying the streak.

Or perhaps for solar users, opting out removes 1 or 2 from the streak count, but does not reset it all the way to 0.

@Steve Reed let me see what @Brooks B thinks of this idea.

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 584Member, Moderator

I think if I didn't have Solar, that I would be able to easily keep going on the streak bonuses.

I would love to see that Ohmconnect could work out a better system for us solar users that maybe affected by weather patterns etc to make it fair.

Perhaps some sort of compromise whereby our connected devices (nest, juiceboxes and TPlink switches etc) are monitored for their state perhaps to see that they were off and that we may have made an immediate reduction (based on the last hours data) despite low PV cell output maybe.

Its not fair to have to opt out due to this and lose our streaks whilst actually still participating in reality. I could accept losing points perhaps, but resetting the streak clock is like rubbing salt in the wound. Even if I'm not using any high loads like EV charging or AC, I can still always achieve a .5 kWh reduction, but this can get skewed by PV production.

Its counter intuitive because when we are forced to opt out, the reality is that we will likely not bother trying to make reductions. Imagine I was using a high load like AC and EV charging at the same time, that's potentially a 15 kWh reduction that I'm not going to be willing to bother to make since I'm about to lose all my streaks.

I agree @Sarah Strange, and in my opinion the streak and bonus should remain alive if our usage was less than zero, even if it's less negative than the previous 10 days, provided it's still negative.

Sarah, Steve & Uks - I understand where you're coming from and once OC can monetize your savings, I absolutely agree that something should be done to further incentivize solar users for their energy savings to take into account the impact that the weather has on your overall usage.

Perhaps a separate program for solar users would make the most sense? And then solar users would be awarded points from the pot of money that OC gets from selling their energy savings.

At this point, I would say that the system is more than fair to solar users since they're being paid / awarded points for energy savings that OC doesn't get money for. Afterall, where does the money come from to pay solar users? From what I know - the energy savings of non-solar users, which OhmConnect IS compensated for.

And as Kate has written in other threads, the incentives need to align with how OC is paid. And since OC doesn't get paid for solar users' energy savings...

Technically, and with all due respect, it would appear that solar users are in the same boat as users in the bronze program who can't/don't connect their utility account to their OC account, so they can't be monetized. They only get spins, yet solar users get paid...

My apologies in advance if this post offends anyone. But this is just the reality of the current regulatory environment, which limits how (much) OC can pay solar users.

Nonetheless, I agree that every user (whether or not OC can sell their energy savings and award points) should be compensated for those referrals whose energy savings they can get paid for.

@That Son Of A Bitz no offense taken, I understand the challenges and am grateful to be getting included in Ohmhours. I'm just hoping that OhmConnect can petition for changes to CASIO for their sake as well as ours.

The way I see it is that they took the decision to support us initially (without monetary compensation for themselves), but they now seem to have a bit of a change of heart are penalizing us now a bit now when we were all considered equals in the beginning. I don't mind losing points by opting out due to weather (as I understand this is tricky to baseline), but I think its not a big ask to not lose our streaks for example when this is purely based on the rules that Ohm Connects implements. Surely a lower level of participation could instead be validated for those of us with connected smart devices, and that can be seen to be off in order that I maintain streaks at least perhaps?

IIRC, we used to get small bonuses for device participation, so I assume they can track this? A byproduct of tracking like this, is that the data could be used to support the argument back to the CPUC. Basically by me opting out, that's potentially up to a 15kWh of reduction that I could've made (Air Conditioning and EV charging for example) that I may have been able to help out SoCal Edison with, that they will now not get since I opted out, and therefore my connected devices stayed on.

@Kate from OhmConnect Has OhmConnect maybe thought about getting access to a users Inverter data directly, as a means to differentiate solar production from usage via the meter data? I think many of us have access to this inverter data, and many of the inverter companies even have APIs that could be leveraged to get the information directly. If you want to experiment with something like this, then I'm willing to provide the respective details and keys for this etc.

Thanks for your thoughts @Sarah Strange. I hear where you are coming from and we are talking to the regulatory bodies about solar users.

With regards to streaks, let me talk to our product team. I'll follow up with you privately with some thoughts.

• SteeltrapSteeltrap Posts: 4Member, Administrator, Moderator

I'm a solar user and I also work at OhmConnect. We are actually working with the California Energy Commission on a research project to do exactly what @Sarah Strange is suggesting. Instead of using the baseline forecast methodology, we would instead use a "direct curtailment" methodology where we would be measured on the exact drop in usage from before an event to after. Before you get too excited, this is a multi-year research project and even after that we would have to wait for it to be implemented but we certainly would like to get there.

In the shorter term, we are looking at ways to apply day of adjustment to every individuals forecast. We do this at the aggregate level by taking the total performance of all the homes and then looking at the immediately preceding hours and adjusting the total up or down based on those prior hours. The idea is that if it is particularly hot/cold/cloudy etc... on a given day that you look at the variance from the hours before the event versus the baseline for those hours and then apply a factor (+ or - 20% currently) to the baseline during the event.

Thanks for the feedback. At the end of the day, our mission is to simplify energy for people so that more people can participate and positively impact their community, the grid and the planet. Our job is to continually enhance and refine the incentives to make it fun and impactful while doing work behind the scenes to make the policies more enabling.

edited April 14

Just replying to this old thread since this finally bit me on the behind today. We are away on vacation and after receiving the alert for the ohm hour, we decided to chance it as the weather was looking a bit iffy. My forecast usage was showing as -1.79kWh, however I already know that there was intermittent clouds and so my usage during that time was -1.33kWh despite my house having switched everything off, and running at about an actual usage of 0.15-.0.20 kWh.

@Steeltrap and @Kate from OhmConnect I have to say that I'm pretty bummed that I've now lost my streaks and that I'll get penalized for this despite dropping my consumption and still pushing power back out.

I posted this also the other day and it appears to have gotten deleted after I edited.

Pretty miffed this week as I was up to 13 streaks and I'm now back to 0. We were away on vacation and unable to see the what the weather was doing from where we were. I know I reduced my usage by about .5kWh, (fridge and network rack off), however due to the cloudy weather this wasn't enough and not only were we docked our streaks, but also penalized 81 points. I'm not too worried about the points in the grand scheme of things (some you win and some you lose being a solar owner), however I'm annoyed about the streaks.

@Sarah Strange

I get around this exact thing by setting my availability for the hours after 4pm. You won't get as many #OHMHOURS but you're far less susceptible to the weather and likely to lose your streak/bonus.

@UkiwiS , it wouldn't have made any difference even if I'd have set it to after 4PM on this particular day / instance. I was nowhere near home (I was the other side of California) and couldn't see the at conditions at home. I was looking at my inverter output in the hour up leading up to the ohm hour and it looked like I was going to be fine, so I since I figured I was going to at least lose my streaks at least by opting out, and I figured the best thing to do was chance it, but still contribute. However the weather turned worse with intermittent clouds and I ended up being under my forecast. Even an hour later (after 4PM) the cloud cover was intermittent according to my inverter data and if I'd have done as you suggested, I would still have been penalized.

Any this is all moot, I'm still annoyed that I still reduced by contributing (fridge off and network rack run off a UPS automatically during an ohm hour), I was also still pushing power back out to the grid, but yet I get penalized. I know Ohm connect doesn't get get paid for this either, but if they want to try and get the rules changed, they are not going about it the right way by penalizing us and potentially turning us against this program. Any points I guess I get from this are likely not worth the wear it puts on my UPS battery.

Admittedly, In this event I only likely reduced by about .2kWh (as seen by looking at the plots below of the two main loads that go off (courtesy of data from my Brultech GEM)) , but if that had been during car charging or when the HVAC was running, this would have been a significant contribution since both my HVAC system (connected by Nest) and also my car charger (juicebox), are also connected to Ohm Connect.

@Sarah Strange
    What I'm saying is, change your settings for when you'd like to receive OhmHours. If you're away and are not able to check what's the harm in doing that for those days you're away so you don't lose your streak/bonus? Set it back when you're back in town and able to monitor it more closely. Changing your availability settings doesn't mean you are "opting out"...you wouldn't even be notified and wouldn't lose your streak/bonus. I have mine set like this because I know with 100% certainly that I'll be able to reduce. If I change it to 4pm and it coincidentally happens to be cloudy I'd risk losing so I don't even go there.

Thanks, I had meant to change this before I left, but didn't have time. That said, I still maintain we shouldn't have to do this. Say for example the ohm hour was called during a time that I would've been charging my car, plus using HVAC (potentially to the tune of about 10kW), then no reductions would've been made from me and that doesn't benefit Ohm Connect/SCE or me since I wouldn't be participating, and therefore nothing would turn off.

@Sarah Strange - points are taken about solar users. The product team has tossed around some ideas for how to make our system more friendly for you. I know you've probably seen my explanation elsewhere about why things are difficult for solar users (the fact that CAISO doesn't have a baseline that takes weather into calculation). We're adding some new features shortly that may help all users, but especially you guys, protect your streaks during certain conditions...

• dinesh.nagardinesh.nagar Posts: 5Member

My streak is now 28 successful #OhmHours. I am curious what's the record?

@KarenE was the last to report the highest on the forums with a screenshot as evidence showing a streak of 27 and 135% bonus. That was a few weeks ago, so it maybe higher now. As of right now, you've reported the highest streak.

Amazing job @dinesh.nagar! What's your secret!

Has anyone beat those numbers? Post a screenshot if you have. Maybe you @KarenE?
  • Steve ESteve E Posts: 196Member, Moderator

@That Son Of A Bitz said:
    @KarenE was the last to report the highest on the forums with a screenshot as evidence showing a streak of 27 and 135% bonus. That was a few weeks ago, so it maybe higher now. As of right now, you've reported the highest streak.

Amazing job @dinesh.nagar! What's your secret!

Has anyone beat those numbers? Post a screenshot if you have. Maybe you @KarenE?

I'm at 28 as of the last one. I'm at 100% since the introduction (and normalization of the start dates for everyone)

Sounds like you both have maxed out until your next OhmHour. I encourage you both and anyone else with these numbers to continue posting their results in the forums. Inevitably, even the longest streaks can and will be broken at some point (accidents happen i.e. you forget to unplug your car charger). For you two, it may not be for months or even years when you have streaks that go into the hundreds of OhmHours =) ...wishful thinking.

So keep posting and let's see who can continue to have the longest streak!
  • WaterGuyWaterGuy Posts: 366Member, Moderator
    edited April 27

@Steeltrap, if you need volunteers for the direct curtailment research program, I'd definitely be interested in participating. I'm a solar user interested in helping OhmConnect come up with a system that's a win-win-win for homeowners, OhmConnect, and utilities--like @Sarah Strange and @UkiwiS, I'm currently not participating in daytime events to avoid potentially losing my streak. It seems that finding ways to separate usage from production would be in everyone's interest.

• Steve ESteve E Posts: 196Member, Moderator

Going for #30 tonight!

edited May 3
    Nice! Anyone else able to keep up?
  • snetphiliesnetphilie ConcordPosts: 124Member, Moderator

The streak is still alive! Though if my forecasts keep dropping, it's going to be really easy to slip up and miss the target!

@snetphilie That's awesome!!! (Moderator Note: moved your comment from other discussion) Anyone have a streak of 31 or more? I'm not sure if it's even possible, but you never know since the number of OhmHours that are called depends on the reliability of the grid in our respective areas.

@snetphilie Great Job. During the last 4 events you used no more than 0.05 kWh. That is RIDICULOUSLY low. Based on what I can see I doubt your streak is at risk.