Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Longest streak?

Comments

• Kate from OhmConnectKate from OhmConnect Posts: 1,049Administrator

amazing @snetphilie -- tell us how you save so much??? What draws the most power that you turn off during an #OhmHour?

• Matt DMatt D Posts: 36Administrator

Well done everyone! Those are some long streaks. I've had trouble myself getting more than 4 streaks in a row (my current streak is a lowsy 2). One of the items that our team is considering rolling out is using tokens to provide a "Streak Shield". That way, you could buy a shield in case you know you are going to go over and keep your streak alive. What do you guys think of that idea?

• Richard strangeRichard strange SoCalPosts: 71Member
    > @Matt D said:
    > One of the items that our team is considering rolling out is using tokens to provide a "Streak Shield". That way, you could buy a shield in case you know you are going to go over and keep your streak alive. What do you guys think of that idea?

Sounds like a good idea so long as the token cost isnt a silly high amount.
  • The Little Ohmer TwinsThe Little Ohmer Twins Union CityPosts: 1,014Moderator

@Matt D So is the Streak Shield something that you can only put into play before an OhmHour? Or can it also be used after you get the results? If not, maybe that can be something completely separate that costs more tokens?

• curtcurt Posts: 46Administrator

I'm currently on a 37 #OhmHour Streak! We're looking at implementing a 'Streak Shield' card, but haven't released that just yet. We do have a Baseline Boost card that you can use if you know you're going to not participate in an event. That will boost your baseline to 5 kWh for your next #OhmHour.

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 1,607Member, Moderator
    edited May 2017

@curtistongue said:

I'm currently on a 37 #OhmHour Streak! We're looking at implementing a 'Streak Shield' card, but haven't released that just yet. We do have a Baseline Boost card that you can use if you know you're going to not participate in an event. That will boost your baseline to 5 kWh for your next #OhmHour.

I have a suggestion for the baseline boost. It costs 700 tokens and I would not use it at that "price". Instead of it boosting your baseline to 5 kWh how about it adding 5 kWh to your baseline? If that change was made I would definitely use it.

• snetphiliesnetphilie ConcordPosts: 139Member, Moderator

I have a Hotpoint Refrigerator that uses 0.046 kWh/hour, three Holmes "Single D Filter Size" Air Purifiers that each use 0.013kWh/hour. That's 0.085 kWh/hour that are hooked up to smart switches. The remainder of items that can't be turned off or consume power on standby unless I am around to unplug them total 0.046 kWh.hour. I've been trying to keep things unplugged all of the time when they are not in use, which saves me money on electricity, but it brings that last number down to 0.030 kWh/hour. So when I'm not around, I'm using 0.115 kWh/hour. I'm also considering building a UPS for my network equipment and hooking that up to a smart plug which would bring my ohm hour consumption down to 0.009 to 0.014 kWh depending on what I leave plugged in. Essentially, all of my power consumption during ohm hours would be coming from smart devices.

edited May 2017
    @curtistongue That's amazing! Now prove it! =P Please post a screenshot of your 37 OH streak. I'll believe it when I see it!
    Hey @snetphilie How did you determine how much energy everything used?
  • dinesh.nagardinesh.nagar Posts: 5Member

I have also have 30 OhmHours in a row. So far, I have participated in all the OhmHours that I received. Hoping to continue the streak, let's see how long I can keep it going.

@That Son Of A Bitz said:
    Amazing job @dinesh.nagar! What's your secret!

@That Son Of A Bitz - keeping it simple, just automating the bigger appliances with smart switches. Though now that I have a long streak, I am trying to continue it by doing anything that I can. Like going out during the time :)

• WaterGuyWaterGuy Posts: 414Member, Moderator

@Matt D, I'd be into the idea of a mulligan card, but as @That Son Of A Bitz mentioned, I think it'd be more useful if you could use it after the fact (say, within 24 hours) to keep your streak alive. The baseline boost, while expensive in terms of the tokens, already provides an option to mitigate a predicted streak-killer if, say, friends come over for dinner on an evening when an #OhmHour is called.

• Ian and JenIan and Jen Posts: 3Member
    I'm at 9

Hey @snetphilie How did you determine how much energy everything used?

Check out my posts on OhmConnect Energy Challenge! page 1

Long story short, a combination of the Belkin Conserve Insight Energy Use Monitor, TP-Link smart plugs, and technical documentation (For standby draws below 0.5 watts)

Sorry! Thanks providing a link to your other post. No wonder why this felt like deja vu. Or for you - ground hog day =)
  • Steve ESteve E Posts: 329Member, Moderator

Should be up to 31 after last one posts

@KarenE Once again, great job! Keep it up!

Curious, in addition to going out to eat and taking the dogs for a walk, how have you been able to keep your streak going? Is everything automated and controlled by OC during OHs or are you going around and manually turning things off and/or unplugging them?

Also, what do you find are the biggest energy hogs that you need to turn off to stay under your baseline?

@KarenE Once again, great job! Keep it up!

Curious, in addition to going out to eat and taking the dogs for a walk, how have you been able to keep your streak going? Is everything automated and controlled by OC during OHs or are you going around and manually turning things off and/or unplugging them?

Also, what do you find are the biggest energy hogs that you need to turn off to stay under your baseline?

No automation all done by hand.

The three biggest energy hogs we have are:

TV in the living room (old plasma TV) so that goes off for sure. It has a really good picture and still works really well‚ but one day in the not too distant future it will get replaced.

We have a 5000 gallon Koi pond in the backyard that has one air pump (fairly low usage)‚ one external pump (lower usage of the pumps) and an internal pump (highest energy user) that goes in the pond skimmer. It is safe to turn of the skimmer pump and leave the air pump (this is a heavy duty pump pushing around 80L a minute) and the external pump (which is about 5000 gallons per hour) to leave the pond with plenty of oxygenation especially as the OhmHours are later in the day when the sun is down for the most part so the oxygen burn rate on the pond is less.

The kitchen fridge gets unplugged.

On top of that I turn off lights and no A/C / ceiling fans most of the time. But turning of the top 3 will always guarantee that we'll be under our target.

Originally I never used to turn off any of those three and didn't realize the TV was such a hog. Then I figure what the hell I can just unplug the fridge for an hour or so. And then It also dawned on me that it was easy to just go outside and flip a switch to turn off the pond pump.

My 93 year old mother with dementia lives with us‚ so there is pretty much always someone home to do this stuff.

• Steve ReedSteve Reed Posts: 111Member

@snetphilie said:
    That's 0.085 kWh/hour that are hooked up to smart switches.

One thing to be careful of is adding "smart swiitches" to fairly low power devices. For example a Wemo outlet uses 1.5w. So you are adding 0.036KWh usage per day (or about 1kWh per month), just to save a tiny bit during ohmhours.

Smart switches a great for higher power devices or for things you want/need to control anyway. But adding them just for Ohmhours is not always a net win.

Very good point @Steve Reed! Thanks for bringing it to the community's attention.

In addition to devices that have already been mentioned multiple times in the forums (i.e. refrigerators, pool/pond pumps), what other high power devices are people putting their SmartPlugs on?
  • WaterGuyWaterGuy Posts: 414Member, Moderator

I've got a whole-house fan in the attic that I control with a smart switch. The fan uses about 330 watts, so it's helpful to make sure it's switched off during OhmHours, especially because I often run it during the same time windows. The smart switch is actually more useful for its designed purpose than for saving energy, though--rather than hard wiring a switch in the house or having to access the attic regularly, my wife and I can control the fan and set schedules on our phones.

@Steve Reed said:

@snetphilie said:
    That's 0.085 kWh/hour that are hooked up to smart switches.

One thing to be careful of is adding "smart swiitches" to fairly low power devices. For example a Wemo outlet uses 1.5w. So you are adding 0.036KWh usage per day (or about 1kWh per month), just to save a tiny bit during ohmhours.

Smart switches a great for higher power devices or for things you want/need to control anyway. But adding them just for Ohmhours is not always a net win.

Some interesting math...

1.9 watts usage for my smart plugs = 16,644 watt-hours/year

127 Ohm Hours/year

Current PG&E Solor Choice Plan Rate $0.19979

Cost of Smart Plug Electricity per year per plug $3.33

My Ohmhour energy savings per smart plug device given average of 21.2 watt devices on each plug and the above assumptions is $0.54

I therefore, am paying $2.79 per plug in extra electricity usage

In Only Demand Response rewards, I've made $27.05 in the past year with Ohmconnect.

I spent $115.45 on 4 smart plugs.

Taking just smart plugs and demand response rewards into account, it would take 7 years and 4 months to recoup my investment.

Taking the full $66.01 I made with Ohmconnect in the past year, it actually only takes 26 months to recoup my investment.

I'm 14 months in and my sign-up bonus knocked 2 months off that timeline so only about 10 months to go before break-even!

Of course, I am essentially getting free smart plugs, which are cool, and by purchasing these and proving the concept of large scale energy use stabilization with smart devices, utilities are better able to increase renewable energy production and decrease dependence on fossil fuels, which means we preserve the environment.

@snetphilie Thanks for doing the math to calculate the simple pay back - in other words, how long it will take to recoup the costs of the SmartPlugs from the money saved every month using them. That's really helpful for anyone trying to figure out if it's "worth it" to buy SmartPlugs. And it sounds like it is if you're putting it on high energy use items.

And just to clarify for anyone who may not be as familiar with how energy costs are calculated, you are charged for each kilowatt hour (in Snetphilie's example above - he's charged $0.19979/kWh) and before you multiply your energy use by the cost, remember to divide anything that you're measuring in watts into kilowatts by 1,000.

Also keep in mind that the amount of money you earn based on how much energy you save depends on how much OC is able to sell these savings for in the energy market, which could be more or less than what your utility charges you because the amount OC gets depends on how much our energy savings is needed - you know - supply & demand.
  • Steve ReedSteve Reed Posts: 111Member

@snetphilie said:
    Some interesting math...

It's good to work out the numbers for sure, and they vary a bit per person.

For me at least, most of my savings a few large items like AC/Heat, so those would need to be removed from my earnings before calculating the return on each new switch added. Or calculate the saving based on the specific switches load savings.

A single switch saving 0.0212kWh each ohmhour, based on 200 points/kWh (I know it varies each ohmhour, but that's pretty close to the average), and before streaks bonuses, would earn around 4.24 points per ohmhour. That's $5.38 per year if we really had 127 ohmhours (I think it's closer to 50).

For fun we can just write an equation and solve for the wattage that has a break even at a specific number of years.

P = estimate points/kWh
    O = Ohmhours per year
    C = cost of the switch (Dollars)
    Y = years to break even
    W = watts of the device.

((W/1000)OP*Y)/100 - C = 0 , so

W = 1000 * 100 * C/(O * P * Y)

if P = 200 points per ohmhour, O = 127 Ohmhours per year, C = $28.75 per switch, and Y = 5 years

W = 1000 * 100 * 28.75/(127 * 200 *5) = 22W

If you only think there will be 50 Ohmhours per year, you get

W = 1000 * 100 * 28.75/(50 * 200 * 5) = 57.5W is the minimum wattage to break even in 5 years.

Etc.

33 and Still going...

Nice!

Someone tried to steal my internet, cut the cable to my condo, and caused my smart devices to not respond during an ohmhour, and I still just barely missed my target. Assuming that bonuses go on for a while longer and they aren't capped, this will easily cost me $50-$100+. I complained to my ISP though, and since my promotional period just ended and my fee just got hiked, they knocked $300 off over the next year. Still sucks!

• Ellen Paik JeongEllen Paik Jeong Posts: 16Member
    edited May 2017

My streak is 40 right now. Unfortunately my baseline is so low (usually like .3 or .4) that I'm not earning much even with the bonuses added.

@Ellen Paik Jeong That's unbelievable!!! Great job! I'd love to see that! Can you post a screenshot of the email you got that shows your streak, so everyone can it too?

My stream finally broke with 34 being the highest number, now I am back to zero.