Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

OhmConnect not turning off smart plugs during OhmHours

2»

Comments

• Moshav StuartMoshav Stuart Posts: 2Member

I have a lamp connected to a TP-Link HS105 smart plug and use a timer via the Kava app to turn it on daily at 7:45 pm. At the beginning of last night's OhmHour, my lamp didn't turn off. I used OhmConnect to turn the lamp off. When the OhmHour ended, the lamp turned back on.

So, even though I have switched to exclusively using OhmConnect to manually control my smart plugs, is it problematic that Kava is also controlling them on some automatic settings? This is an annoying issue and makes it more challenging to participate in OhmHours.

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 1,488Member, Moderator

@Moshav Stuart said:
    I have a lamp connected to a TP-Link HS105 smart plug and use a timer via the Kava app to turn it on daily at 7:45 pm. At the beginning of last night's OhmHour, my lamp didn't turn off. I used OhmConnect to turn the lamp off. When the OhmHour ended, the lamp turned back on.

So, even though I have switched to exclusively using OhmConnect to manually control my smart plugs, is it problematic that Kava is also controlling them on some automatic settings? This is an annoying issue and makes it more challenging to participate in OhmHours.

Yes, I'm not 100% sure but I believe this could be an issue. I had one device configured to turn on/off using the "Scenes" tab in Kasa and in OhmConnect it was that device that was often showing the wrong state. I tried to edit the scene but there was an issue with KASA...."cannot reach server" or something along those lines. I was also unable to delete the scene and got the same message. Now, to ensure I get all the tokens, I connect in and ensure they're all showing as ON in OhmConnect and this has worked for me for the last 3 #OhmHours.

• snetphiliesnetphilie ConcordPosts: 139Member, Moderator

I updated my firmware and had most of my devices NOT turn off. I then reconnected to OhmConnect and last night I had 7 out of 8 turn off. I keep having problems with the same 8th device so I guess I'll just continue to control it manually. The funny thing is, I can just grab my phone and tell my Google Personal Assistant to turn it off for me, even when I'm not home.

• Kirk NasonKirk Nason Posts: 16Member

I notice that OhmConnect creates "One Time" schedules for my TP-Link. This is fine, but you don't clean up the old schedules. Over time, you can have many one-off schedule lying around when you go look at them in the KASA app. Since you have the API to create schedules, can you also delete the last schedule created at the end of the OhmHour?

• The Little Ohmer TwinsThe Little Ohmer Twins Union CityPosts: 1,009Moderator
    They probably could, but I'm guessing it's not a priority right now unless it's somehow interfering with your Plugs turning on and off during OHs. Even then, I'm sure they have higher priority issues they're working on.
  • John KJohn K Lake Forest - Hikers and Bikers TeamPosts: 580Member
    edited September 2017

@Kirk Nason, where are you seeing these historical events? I have 3 devices and I've never seen (w app on my phone) any evidence of an event after it is concluded. Under "Schedule" for each of the devices, I show nothing after many, many, events. Is it possible that your wifi is being turned off for the hour and therefore the deletion of the schedule is never received? This assumes the schedule is stored within the device and I'm only guessing about that.

> @John K said:
    > @Kirk Nason, where are you seeing these historical events? I have 3 devices and I've never seen (w app on my phone) any evidence of an event after it is concluded. Under "Schedule" for each of the devices, I show nothing after many, many, events. Is it possible that your wifi is being turned off for the hour and therefore the deletion of the schedule is never received? This assumes the schedule is stored within the device and I'm only guessing about that.

No, my WiFi is never turns off. I have screenshots from KASA showing the schedules. They are left OFF so overlapping schedules won't conflict, but this is an issue
  • Steve ESteve E Posts: 329Member, Moderator

On occasion we lose power in our neighborhood for a split second‚ just long enough to turn off the wi-fi router‚ TV and cause all the electrical clocks to need resetting.

We have a TP-Link web enabled security camera that always needs to be unplugged and re plugged in after the wi-fi router has powered off. My question is‚ does this happen for you guys on you TP-Link smart plugs?

From @[email protected] We are aware of issues with TP-Link smart plugs not shutting off properly during #OhmHours in some instances. For this reason, we will be introducing a new direct integration system for smart plugs that will improve the performance of these devices during #OhmHours. We thank you for your patience while we make this improvement. Cleaning up old schedules is one of the issues this fix will address.

• darelldddarelldd Posts: 3Member
    edited January 2018

I have 5 TP-Link outlets. Some of them switch off for Ohm Hours, some do not. It seems random which ones work, and which don’t. The can all consistently be controlled by the Kasa app, so clearly the WiFi coverage is good enough. I have have followed the instructions in this thread, and have remote control turned on for each one. I have removed them all from Ohmconnect, and then added them back. I have no schedules set in Kasa, and do not use Kasa to operate them after the purging of OC. Two of them I can now switch off from OC, but cannot then switch themn back on. The other three give me an error on the OC connect page, and will not switch off at all. After spending all this money, this is, of course, pretty dang frustrating. I see this dicussion began last summer, and the problem has clearly not been fixed.

Scott in CS pointed me to this thread as the fix. And yet... no difference.

• Kate from OhmConnectKate from OhmConnect Posts: 1,049Administrator

@Ben at OhmConnect do you have any thoughts?

• StevoStevo Posts: 32Member
    So over a year later and still no solution...
  • @stevo there has been solutions, not even a year later...are you experiencing technical difficulties with the smart plugs?

2»