Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

need to make sure smart plug stays ON during this OHM hour

My smart plugs are set to turn off automatically with an Ohm hour. That's great except that this one time I need to make sure the fridge stays ON and I'm away from home.

The Kasa app doesn't appear to work when I'm not at home near the smart plug (honestly, WTF? this can't be right).

HELP?

Answers

• Erik GoudieErik Goudie Posts: 1Member

Your refrigerator is supposed to be able to keep your food cold enough for up to four hours without power.

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 635Member, Moderator

@stavaresbuhler said:
    My smart plugs are set to turn off automatically with an Ohm hour. That's great except that this one time I need to make sure the fridge stays ON and I'm away from home.

The Kasa app doesn't appear to work when I'm not at home near the smart plug (honestly, WTF? this can't be right).

HELP?

I no longer use KASA since it breaks the connection with OC but I can still turn them on/off using the website. Can you toggle it using the "Connect" tab when logged in via www.ohmconnect.com?

• WaterGuyWaterGuy Posts: 374Member, Moderator

@stavaresbuhler said:

HELP?

@stavaresbuhler, your observation about the TPT-Link plugs losing their remote (aka not within wi-fi range) capabilities when connected to OhmConnect matches what @snetphilie and I have discussed in another thread. I think a lot of folks would like to see that fixed at some point, but it probably isn't a major priority for OhmConnect or TP-Link (hard to tell whose side the issue is on, if not both). I still use the schedule/timer functions in Kasa and they work great, though I haven't tested what happens when I set a scheduled shutoff (or on) and leave the house before the action occurs.

Anyway, I think your two options to ensure your fridge stays on are either: 1) Unplug your fridge from the smart plug and plug it into the wall outlet or 2) Do what @UkiwiS suggested and toggle the fridge on from the OC website's Connect section after the event has started.

• AKPsi VinceAKPsi Vince Union CityPosts: 957Moderator
    So even if you connect your TP-Link SmartPlug to your refrigerator and OC for automation during OHs and don't set up any additional timers/schedules thru the Kasa app, it still won't respond to OHs and automatically turn off at the beginning of them and back after they have ended?
    edited June 30

@That Son Of A Bitz said:
    So even if you connect your TP-Link SmartPlug to your refrigerator and OC for automation during OHs and don't set up any additional timers/schedules thru the Kasa app, it still won't respond to OHs and automatically turn off at the beginning of them and back after they have ended?

Nope, that isn't the case. The plugs are automated and work for (most) OhmHours. The issue is that the Kasa app can't be used to control the plugs manually when you aren't within range of your local wi-fi, as it could be before the plugs were connected to OC.

• Richard strangeRichard strange SoCalPosts: 57Member

Mine work from OC, and the app whether at home or away from my network via cell. So they obviously can.

The only issue I had was about 2 months ago when they all stopped responding to on events for about a month.

@Richard strange said:
    Mine work from OC, and the app whether at home or away from my network via cell. So they obviously can.

The only issue I had was about 2 months ago when they all stopped responding to on events for about a month.

Hmm, that's very interesting. All the other folks I've talked to about this have had the same problem as me--I'd love to figure out a fix, if indeed there is one. Here's what I see whenever I'm away from home; all of the switches are grayed out:

• Richard strangeRichard strange SoCalPosts: 57Member
    My friend at work also has the same problem but mine go green and are controllable. The only time they are grey is breifly when I launch the app, or if I was at home and then go remote without pulling down to fefresh the status. It seems doing that forces a cloud connection or something.

@Richard strange said:
    My friend at work also has the same problem but mine go green and are controllable. The only time they are grey is breifly when I launch the app, or if I was at home and then go remote without pulling down to fefresh the status. It seems doing that forces a cloud connection or something.

@snetphilie, did you hear that? I'd love to figure this out for us...

• SrelazSrelaz FullertonPosts: 62Member

@That Son Of A Bitz said:

I have zero issues being connected to KASA, OC, and my fridge turning back on after the OH is over. The only issue you'll have is if you hit your circuit breakers and leave them off too long.

• snetphiliesnetphilie ConcordPosts: 124Member, Moderator

@WaterGuy I just checked the app remotely and it appears to be working now. It's been a couple weeks since I checked so maybe somebody has patched their software. Them working on the software might also explain the intermittently failing shut offs during the past few ohm hours. I've found that as long as I reconnect my account at the start of an ohm hour and make sure all is turned off, ohmconnect turns then back on and I get tokens. Sounds like progress to me!

@snetphilie said:
    @WaterGuy I just checked the app remotely and it appears to be working now. It's been a couple weeks since I checked so maybe somebody has patched their software. Them working on the software might also explain the intermittently failing shut offs during the past few ohm hours. I've found that as long as I reconnect my account at the start of an ohm hour and make sure all is turned off, ohmconnect turns then back on and I get tokens. Sounds like progress to me!

Nice! Mine still isn't working, but it's great to hear things may be getting fixed!

• stavaresbuhlerstavaresbuhler Posts: 4Member
    > @UkiwiS said:
    > @stavaresbuhler said:
    > My smart plugs are set to turn off automatically with an Ohm hour. That's great except that this one time I need to make sure the fridge stays ON and I'm away from home.
    >
    > The Kasa app doesn't appear to work when I'm not at home near the smart plug (honestly, WTF? this can't be right).
    >
    > HELP?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I no longer use KASA since it breaks the connection with OC but I can still turn them on/off using the website. Can you toggle it using the "Connect" tab when logged in via www.ohmconnect.com?

I did, but I just found out that now the smart plug is completely disconnected from OC and it won't reconnect.

Is there another app I can use with these plugs?