Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

A 2000 point per OhmHour cap may be coming

I was going through one of my results and noticed that the math was off. Contacted support and got the following reponse.

Comments

• SrelazSrelaz FullertonPosts: 115Member

@John Lourenco said:
    I was going through one of my results and noticed that the math was off. Contacted support and got the following reponse.

Disappointing....

• Wendy FitzcharlesWendy Fitzcharles Posts: 32Member
    Is that total including bonus I wonder, or just baseline cap...
  • UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 1,591Member, Moderator

@John Lourenco said:

This has been around for a while and you will typically notice it as you'll score exactly 2000. Is that what happened in your case?

It was basically created so that they can protect against fraud and confirm the points are correct before giving them out. I'm> @Wendy Fitzcharles said:

Is that total including bonus I wonder, or just baseline cap...

It's total. If you hit it you'll know because your dashboard will show exactly 2000 points.

• No Pain No GainNo Pain No Gain 93035Posts: 404Member

I just used a Baseline Boost card and hit the soft cap. The actual point amount was 3419 points.

I usually am up around 1600-1800 for an OhmHour, so I just used my tokens on another Baseline Boost in case there's a 2000 cap in the near future. I won't care much about Mega OhmHours that give an extra 500 points, since I'll be so close to the cap, it won't really be worth it.

For me, there will be no incentive to buy any of the cards if the cap is at 2000. That is taking the fun out of saving for something. Who cares about tokens if there's nothing worth buying?

@[email protected] Capping the OhmHours at 2000 will be counterproductive for OhmConnect.

@No Pain No Gain my understanding is that it's a "soft" cap only, designed to vet fraud and faulty meters.

@UkiwiS Did you read the email from @[email protected] ? I got the same one @John Lourenco did. Read the last sentence. "Going forward, we may install a hard cap of points per #OhmHour, but we will announce that to you formally."

They obviously have been discussing this internally to boldly "hint" at the possibility before it happens. You, of all people, should be concerned about a hard cap and know what it would do to your motivation... and your earnings.

As you said, for now, it's to catch fraud or something going wrong with the points, but because there are some people making a fortune off OhmHours, I'm sure a hard cap is in the works that has yet to be announced formally. Hopefully it won't be a hard cap of 2000.

edited July 2018
    @No Pain No Gain yes obviously a concern. I don't believe that's really an option. They need to compensate those can demonstrate consistent performance and someone saving 2kWh on a regular bais should earn two times more than someone saving 1 kWh. If they introduce a cap, I feel it's more likely to be a streak cap.

@UkiwiS Nice. Let's be sure to give them more ideas.... :/

• Steve ESteve E Posts: 329Member, Moderator

This soft cap has been around for a while although I have never personally been affected by it capping my points. I personally have exceeded this multiple times with no issues in the last several #OhmHours. I have one event at 2000 points exactly and there is no cap on that one either, it just happens to come out to 2000 points exactly with my buddy bonus.

I too find it highly unlikely they would introduce a hard cap of 2000 points as it would certainly discourage people from creating and maintaining long streaks and be consistent high energy savers that OhmConnect surely need. I too can see that at some point they would want to introduce a cap on streaks, but from my understanding the amount of users with large streaks at this moment in time does not affect them in any significant manner in regards to payouts for #OhmHours.

• OhmaOhma Posts: 2Member
    During the summer months I had eight regular ohm hours with points taken off and capped at 2000. I contacted support and received the same answer from Scott. I was also told that my cap would be lifted, but that never happened.
    @Ohma you need to fillow up with support on this.
  • RandersRanders San DiegoPosts: 9Member
    Per Scott at CS, the 2000 point cap is currently in place but they will refund it for now if you notice it and ask. They really need to announce this sort of thing and not be so underhanded about it.
  • jserramcjserramc Posts: 311Member

I'm not getting all my token points for small actions like buddy chat or logging in. It happens infrequently and I bring it to OC attention but no one responds.

• JRocketJRocket Posts: 30Member

So question then for anyone...if I use the baseline boost card which I have been saving up for, will my points be capped at 2000 since I know I will go way over or if I email support they will ensure I get all the points? I think someone had the example they used it and got 3650 or so but it was capped to 2000? What's the point of saving up for the baseline boost only to use it and get capped. Not much of an incentive. Thanks for responding

@JRocket said:
    So question then for anyone...if I use the baseline boost card which I have been saving up for, will my points be capped at 2000 since I know I will go way over or if I email support they will ensure I get all the points? I think someone had the example they used it and got 3650 or so but it was capped to 2000? What's the point of saving up for the baseline boost only to use it and get capped. Not much of an incentive. Thanks for responding

If you use the card and the points come out to 2000, you know you've been limited by the soft cap. As has been stated, this was put in place as a check to eliminate fraud and faulty meters. In this scenario contact support and it'll be removed and you'll get all the points owing to you.