Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Will a SmartPlug work with WiFi laptops?

Have looked for an answer but couldn't find it listed. Will a SmartPlug work ONLY with cell phones or will they usable on a wireless WiFi laptop, tablet etc? Thanks.

Answers

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 1,600Member, Moderator

@bethgrantd said:
    Have looked for an answer but couldn't find it listed. Will a SmartPlug work ONLY with cell phones or will they usable on a wireless WiFi laptop, tablet etc? Thanks.

What exactly do you mean?

You configure the plug to connect to your home wifi network work, enable remote control and then you can control it from anywhere you have an internet connection. I can control mine from my laptop or tablet in starbucks, from my computer at work and from my phone when it's connected to the internet. It doesn't matter if it's over a 4G network or a public or private wifi, it just needs to have a connection to the internet.

• John KJohn K Lake Forest - Hikers and Bikers TeamPosts: 585Member

@bethgrantd said:
    Will a SmartPlug work ONLY with cell phones or will they usable on a wireless WiFi laptop, tablet etc?

What do you mean by "work"? If you only want to toggle the plug on and off, you can do that with the TP-Link at the Device page of OhmConnect. I'm unaware of a web portal that provides all the functionality of the KASA app. The response from @UkiwiS makes it sound as if he might know of such a portal for some smartplug.

You don't by any chance have an Echo/Alexa or other voice-control device do you?

@John K said:

@bethgrantd said:
    Will a SmartPlug work ONLY with cell phones or will they usable on a wireless WiFi laptop, tablet etc?

What do you mean by "work"? If you only want to toggle the plug on and off, you can do that with the TP-Link at the Device page of OhmConnect. I'm unaware of a web portal that provides all the functionality of the KASA app. The response from @UkiwiS makes it sound as if he might know of such a portal for some smartplug.

You don't by any chance have an Echo/Alexa or other voice-control device do you?

@John K I exclusively use TP-Link plugs and use the KASA App to turn them on/off. Of course nothing is required for an OhmHour as they work well with OhmConnect.

• John KJohn K Lake Forest - Hikers and Bikers TeamPosts: 585Member

@UkiwiS said:

@John K I exclusively use TP-Link plugs and use the KASA App to turn them on/off.

@UkiwiS -- Me too, but only on my smartphone. You said you can use your laptop (presumably without emulator s/w), which was the question posed by @bethgrantd. What OS are you running and where can the app be found? I'm unaware of any version of KASA that will run on my MacBook.

@John K ah yes, I see what he's actually asking. KASA runs on my android phone so I'd assume an android tablet should be able to run the app and work right? Not sure if the Kasa App is in the Windows store but it may be.

You can control the switches via Home Assistant. Once configured and remote access enabled through your router you can control them via the web interface.

https://www.home-assistant.io/components/switch.tplink/
  • laurelrpatton-comlaurelrpatton-com Posts: 21Member

I stopped using my Smart Plug since we began turning power off at the circuit breakers for OhmHours. I had some problem with it because of this. Is there any advantage to leaving it on? If we are are going to be out during an OhmHour we turn off the circuit breakers when we leave the house.