TAX FILING

Comments

• cwiedcwied San MateoMember Posts: 141

To be absolutely clear, I think what is reported will be cash and prizes you receive, not just cash. As far as I know, the value of any prizes won for the Mega contests would be added in, for example. Also, cashing out with gift cards is not a way of avoiding the reporting.

• mjwafmjwaf Vacaville, CaliforniaMember Posts: 12
    When will we get the 1099s for the 2018 tax season?
  • Steve ESteve E Member, Moderator Posts: 329

@mjwaf said:
    When will we get the 1099s for the 2018 tax season?

I inquired about this recently and they will be sent around the end of the month.

• Heather R. WeatherHeather R. Weather Member Posts: 125

last year was a disaster! I can't remember specifically but I think I kept getting email after email about it. some sort of glitch from an outside company. I hope it goes more smoothly this year.

@Heather R. Weather - I will monitor this thread and if there are any issues regarding the notices being sent out then I will make sure OhmConnect are aware of them

• dthatcher7dthatcher7 Member Posts: 27

Can anybody tell me if this will be subject to self-employment tax? I can't find a solid answer. Anyone on here paid self-employment tax on their OhmConnect money in previous years?

Actually what box on the 1099 is the amount shown in... box 3 other income? box 7 nonemployee compensation? That will tell...

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoMember, Moderator Posts: 1,625
    edited January 2019

@dthatcher7

If it is the same as last year you'll get a 1099-MISC with the amount you were paid in BOX 3. Everything you received (cashed out) is totaled in that box, OhmHour payments, referrals, prize drawings etc etc. It will look like this...

edited January 2019

Thanks UkiwiS!
    So best I can tell, if it isn't a job, and you aren't running a business, it isn't subject to self-employment. Especially since we have no way of knowing what rate will be awarded for any given OhmHour. Also many OhmHours are Prize OhmHours with no rewards. Also rewards can be taken back if you go over an OhmHour, so if you were running a business you'd have to count that as a loss. Also some of the "rewards" are just equipment rebates. Additionally, OhmConnect allows the convertibility of rewards to cash at its pleasure, and can choose to change that anytime.

I just received an email to e-sign my Ohm Connect 1099 (which I just did), so the tax forms are in process.

Received the email yesterday as well!

• laurelrpatton-comlaurelrpatton-com Member Posts: 21

What is the amount on which we must pay taxes? I believe I have read both $300 and $600 on the forum.

• cwiedcwied San MateoMember Posts: 141

You must pay taxes on any amount, however OhmConnect only must report amounts higher than $600 to the IRS and issue you a 1099-MISC.

@laurelrpatton-com said:
    What is the amount on which we must pay taxes? I believe I have read both $300 and $600 on the forum.

Once you have reached a cash out threshold of $600 Ohm Connect requires you to complete the 1099 (or complete the process to register for it). The 1099 is generated after the end of the year and sent to you

Really hope they hurry up and email them out... This is NOT the year to be forced to sit and wait to file with the mess of the government shutdown... processing is most likely going to get delayed the longer you wait to file.

I received my 1099 via email this morning. All printed out and ready to file taxes today

@Steve E said:
    I received my 1099 via email this morning. All printed out and ready to file taxes today

Me too. The amount declared on the form matched to the penny the amount I received via paypal.

@UkiwiS said:

@Steve E said:

Me too. The amount declared on the form matched to the penny the amount I received via paypal.

REALLY?? I havent gotten mine... I don't think anyway - I even emailed that lady Sharron about it (she said they were going on yesterday). What email does it come from?

Thanks. I haven't received anything from tax1009... did search and checked spam. I know I can move forward to do my taxes without it, but its frustrating to not receive the official document. Sharron at Countsy is going to look into it. She's been very responsive.

edited February 2019

Just an FYI their system indicated I was emailed, when I wasnt. She resubmitted it and I received it right away.

Wickham, Sharron (Countsy) via rgpcom.onmicrosoft.com
    10:42 AM (10 minutes ago)
    to me

HI Heather,

It shows the email was sent.

I just reinitiated the email, so you should see it.

I believe it will come from [email protected]

Either that or tax1099.

Thank you

Sharron Wickham

[email protected] | countsy.com

If anyone hasnt received their 1099-MISC still, they should contact Sharron about it. Otherwise they may never get the form!

but yes... it is the exact amount down to the penny of just adding up my paypal cashouts for the calendar year.

edited February 2019

Interesting... did you guys notice they changed the box they entered the amount for? in 2017 it was box 3 "other income." This year it is "Nonemployee compensation" ...wonder why. See, i would have filled it in based on last years and it wouldn't have matched up and would have triggered an audit, most likely.

@Heather R. Weather

I would assume that OC has receive the appropriate advice on how to fill these out. Not sure what changed from last year and why it's now different but here's some info I found.
    https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1099msc.pdf

I don't know if it changes anything for you or not.

Please consult your tax professional!

I'd say OhmHours count as a "sporadic activity" but I am not a tax professional, of course.

The fact that there hasn't been consistency isn't reassuring. I've always followed what my documents show for the boxes - is that highlight stating you can counter what was put if you dont believe its correct? As far as my experience has gone, not matching documents flags the system for an audit and paying fees years down the road.

I'm not asking anyone in particular my questions, I am just really confused and I wouldnt have expected ohmconnect to force us to pay for tax professionals to make sure we dont have IRS issues.

Their change is basically turning us into independent contractors for them - e.g. this is a "job" not energy savings rebate program. First thing that pops up when i search that phrase is:

Nonemployee compensation is the money you pay to an independent contractor who performs work for you. Nonemployee compensation includes fees, commissions, prizes, and awards for service

@Heather R. Weather said:
    The fact that there hasn't been consistency isn't reassuring. I've always followed what my documents show for the boxes - is that highlight stating you can counter what was put if you dont believe its correct? As far as my experience has gone, not matching documents flags the system for an audit and paying fees years down the road.

I'm not asking anyone in particular my questions, I am just really confused and I wouldnt have expected ohmconnect to force us to pay for tax professionals to make sure we dont have IRS issues.

Their change is basically turning us into independent contractors for them - e.g. this is a "job" not energy savings rebate program. First thing that pops up when i search that phrase is:

Nonemployee compensation is the money you pay to an independent contractor who performs work for you. Nonemployee compensation includes fees, commissions, prizes, and awards for service

@Heather R. Weather - The thing that jumps out to me in the snippet you posted was the "prizes, and awards". I'm wondering if this relates to the introduction of MEGA OhmHours, Prize OhmHours and the associated prizes

@Steve E said:

@Heather R. Weather said:

@Heather R. Weather - The thing that jumps out to me in the snippet you posted was the "prizes, and awards". I'm wondering if this relates to the introduction of MEGA OhmHours, Prize OhmHours and the associated prizes

Not sure.. the quote came from this site and everything it says basically confirms ohmconnect is calling us independent contractors who are doing work for them.

https://www.patriotsoftware.com/accounting/training/blog/what-is-non-employee-compensation/

edited February 2019

@Heather R. Weather

My wife just went to file our taxes online and there were no issues with filing the EZ state form. When she went to file the federal form she got an error referring to business exemptions or something similar. It would seem that the way these 1099's are now created that OhmConnect are treating everyone as if they are a business and as a result you have to file your taxes as if you were a business / freelancer / independent contractor which means you cannot file the EZ form.

@samklee - can you get some definitive answer on this as this would now seem to be incredibly cumbersome and at the very least time consuming and much more complicated than it used to be.

wow @Steve E ...I dont file the EZ so I wouldnt have known that but if thats true that is going to negatively affect a lot of ohmconnect users who file with the EZ for free... Esp if you file with say, turbotax who is offering completely free fed and state filing with EZ by a deadline. I am exploring credit karma for filing since I am tired of paying so much for the higher levels with them (might want to consider - its free for fed and state even for using "deluxe" items, e.g. levels above filing 1040EZ).

Totally separate subject but I am really unhappy with the tax reform changes already and now having ohmconnect calling me an independent contractor working a side gig for them is just adding to it. Turning off my lights occasionally to help the grid is a job now??