Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

STATEWIDE FLEX Alert - June 11 2019

UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 1,577Member, Moderator
edited June 11 in MEGA Summer 2019

CAISO just issued a Statewide FLEX alert of California. I'm wondering if there will be some last minute Mega alerts going out from OhmConnect?

http://www.caiso.com/Documents/FlexAlertACallForEnergyConservation-InEffectToday-20190611.pdf

Watch how the rates change in real time here:
http://www.caiso.com/TodaysOutlook/Pages/Prices.aspx

@samklee

Answers

• Evan SchmidtEvan Schmidt Posts: 13Member
    edited June 12

I just got an alert for 7-9pm with only 30minutes warning.

• Barbara PonteBarbara Ponte Posts: 1Member
    I also got an alert for 7-9 with only 30 min warning. Not ok to do that.
  • UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 1,577Member, Moderator
    > @Barbara Ponte said:
    > I also got an alert for 7-9 with only 30 min warning. Not ok to do that.

YOU are the one in control. Don't like it? Opt out!
  • keltonrealakeltonreala Posts: 31Member
    edited June 12

I didn't get any notification for the 7-9pm mega ohmhour even though I was able to receive email and text notifications for all other recent ohmhours. I didn't know it was happening until I saw it on my dashboard near the end of the event. Fortunately we weren't using much energy tonight so hopefully we should still come in below the mega ohmhour goal. This is my first mega summer with OhmConnect and this was my first 2 hours ohmhour event. Would have liked to receive a notification, even if it's just 30 minutes before the event.

Sounds like this was triggered by the CA state wide flex alert. I signed up to receive flex alert in case this happens again:
    https://www.flexalert.org/

@UkiwiS The CAISO data for prices/supply/demand were fascinating, thanks for sharing! Does OhmConnect typically call an emergency OhmHour when a flex alert is issued?

• John KJohn K Lake Forest - Hikers and Bikers TeamPosts: 585Member
    edited June 12
    > @keltonreala said:
    > @UkiwiS The CAISO data for prices/supply/demand were fascinating, thanks for sharing! Does OhmConnect typically call an emergency OhmHour when a flex alert is issued?

Not all OC members had an OH on Tuesday.
  • CraigWCraigW Posts: 44Member

@Evan Schmidt said:
    I just got an alert for 7-9pm with only 30minutes warning.

Yep. It's the third Mega event already this summer for us. Hoping with the short time lead the payouts are even better.

• Evan SchmidtEvan Schmidt Posts: 13Member

@UkiwiS said:
    > @Barbara Ponte said:
    > I also got an alert for 7-9 with only 30 min warning. Not ok to do that.

YOU are the one in control. Don't like it? Opt out!

Opting out destroys my 60+ ohm hour streak.

I have no problem with the ohmhours but I need a little more notification than 30 minutes if I'm going to structure my electrical use around them. I wasn't even home when I got the notification and had to hurry home in time.

• samkleesamklee Posts: 72Member, Administrator, Moderator
    edited June 12

Hey Everyone, we're running a blanket forgiveness for that 7-9 OhmHour. Just wanted to get that out to allay any frustrations.

FYI, we totally understand how unreasonable the 30 minute notification is. We were more focused on trying to keep the Grid up with this heat wave we're experiencing. To an extent, we failed since a substantial number of utility customers lost power here in the SF Bay Area. The Grid literally was unable to handle the demand and fell apart before our very eyes.

You all know already know this -- this situation highlights how fragility our Energy Grid and how meeting capacity is extremely needful. You are all doing your part, so a heartfelt "thank you" for being an OhmConnect user. Now we just need to get everyone else on OhmConnect!

Sam

@samklee said:
    Hey Everyone, we're running a blanket forgiveness for that 7-9 OhmHour. Just wanted to get that out to allay any frustrations.

Thank you Sam, it's nice to hear that people won't lose their streak and points due to the short/no notice. Some of us noticed that the event has disappeared from our dashboards. Did OhmConnect remove the entire event? For those of us who did conserve energy during the event, will we get our points and prize entry?

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 1,577Member, Moderator
    edited June 12

@keltonreala

Did you receive a txt message?
    Did you click on it?

I received one (28 mins prior) and did click on it. It still shows on my dashboard so I'm wondering if there's some link.

@UkiwiS said:
    @keltonreala

Did you receive a txt message?
    Did you click on it?

I received one (28 mins prior) and did click on it. It still shows on my dashboard so I'm wondering if there's some link.

I didn't receive the text msg or the email. I was able to receive both notifications for all my prior ohmhours. I did click on the event on my dashboard to get to the event detail page to see my forecast, goal, and past 10 day usages used in the forecast calculation.

• Wendy FitzcharlesWendy Fitzcharles Posts: 31Member

@samklee said:

This is amazing. I totally understand you knew last minute and wanted to help. We jumped in and did just that. It was frustrating sure, especially after keeping the house at a higher temp that day because of the flex.

I personally was frustrated because I felt I had to do it or loose my streak. Perhaps going forward give us the options, 2 hours, 1 hour, or or opt out with out loosing a streak.

Given the choice I would for sure have done one hour, maybe even done what I did last night and did both ;) But then it's in our hands when we have no notice.

This discussion has been closed.