Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Introducing Streaks!

Comments

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 1,595Member, Moderator

Wow, good job there @KarenE.

I'm at 21 and +105% bonus but have not had very many #OHMHOURS in the last month. Still, I had one last night and managed to save 4.7 kWHs. 105% should help me get $15 or maybe even $20. Time will tell. In any case, it's going to be a record for me. #WINNING

• Kate from OhmConnectKate from OhmConnect Posts: 1,049Administrator

woah, you guys are killing it!

• Kate from OhmConnectKate from OhmConnect Posts: 1,049Administrator

Definitely #winning @UkiwiS. Reducing nearly 5 kwhs?? Impressive. I don't even use that much in my apartment!

@Kate from OhmConnect said:
    Definitely #winning @UkiwiS. Reducing nearly 5 kwhs?? Impressive. I don't even use that much in my apartment!

I was hoping for 5 but believe the final number is a saving of 4.768....I'll post a pic when it comes through.

• The Little Ohmer TwinsThe Little Ohmer Twins Union CityPosts: 1,014Moderator
    @KarenE it looks like you're doing really well! I find that I can get to 3 or so and then life happens and I lose my streak. What's your secret to keeping your streaks going?
    You too @UkiwiS!
    I only signed up for those after 5pm. I move my loads around so no matter what time an #OHMHOUR comes I'm guaranteed to save. The only way I'd miss one is if I didn't know it was on.
  • Steve ESteve E Posts: 329Member, Moderator

@That Son Of A Bitz said:
    @KarenE it looks like you're doing really well! I find that I can get to 3 or so and then life happens and I lose my streak. What's your secret to keeping your streaks going?

My mother who has dementia and is 93 lives with us‚ so as a result pretty much someone is always home to be able to respond to the OhmHours. So in that regard it's pretty easy to disconnect a couple of things for an hour to make sure we get below target.

• SD ChipSD Chip Posts: 146Member

When OC changes the forecasted amount....it makes it hard to maintain a streak!

edited April 2017

That 2000 point #OHMHour is elusive

Thanks for sharing @UkiwiS! I'd like to see you and others continue to post their energy savings results and points to see who's got the highest just like people are posting their streak numbers.

It's exciting to see how well users are doing on this program!
    @SD Chip Totally get why you're frustrated. Unfortunately, it's the regulatory environment we live in.

The data that OC gets to provide you with your forecast the day before and day of is always going to be at least 1-2 days behind because that's how long it takes for our utilities to provide it to anyone whether it's directly to their customers or OC. And the energy savings that OC can get credit for is based on your most recent usage right up to the OhmHour, so yes, your forecast by which your actual usage is compared against and used to determine how many points to give or take away can change yet again and it can be in your favor or against it.

Which is why OC recommends we turn off, unplug and/or automate as many devices as we can.

Do you have a Smart Thermostat or is your refrigerator or anything else on a Smart Plug that OC can control during an OH?

And have you ever considered getting a Home Area Network device or in-home display like the Rainforest Eagle? It tells you how much energy you're is using in real-time, so you can get a sense where you stand with energy usage and it will hopefully give you the feedback you need to adjust your usage during an OhmHour and maximize your energy savings so you're more likely to be under your forecast even if changes.
  • vvranglervvrangler Posts: 16Member
    edited July 2017
    Post Edited

So being of the competitive nature we are, it has become a battle to maintain the streak and status levels we have. While the status level fluctuates, it has been well worth a but of discomfort, especially when we are having 100°+ highs for the entire week here in the Sacramento area to push our steak and average savings to personal high levels!

We'll see how this week goes!

Nice! Save on!
    edited July 2017

@vvrangler You obviously have Solar or you wouldn't have that big negative number there for usage. That'll be the result of OhmHours while the sun is shining. Imagine what would happen if you have really sunny days for a a couple of weeks then you have an OhmHour at 4pm BUT today it's cloudy. Your forecast is a big negative number and you cannot generate that same number due to the clouds. How do you NOT lose your streak?

If you adjust your availability settings so it's say anything after 6 and nothing during peak sunshine hours, your forecasts will be higher. You'll get less OhmHours but to be honest it probably won't make a lot of difference, you'll easily retain platinum and it'll be far easier to maintain your streak. #NOSTRESS

@UkiwiS yea, having the solar can definitely be a challenge, luckily this time of year the weather is pretty consistent, HOT! :p But you are right, an unexpected stormy day can wreak havoc on a baseline forecast. I've only managed to get this streak by volunteering for as many OHs as possible. I will certainly consider your advice as the summer season comes to an end and we devise out next savings plan.

100+ forecasted for the entire week here... last time we had this long of a heat wave was the week of the grid emergency. Let's hope we can help to avoid that again!!

• zcheezezcheeze Posts: 2Member
    Why have the "opt out" feature if it negatively affects your account?
    Suggestion: allow an opt out (# of times depending on silver, gold, etc. level)
    per quarter.
  • WaterGuyWaterGuy Posts: 414Member, Moderator
    edited August 2017

@Nicole Zimmer said:
    Why have the "opt out" feature if it negatively affects your account?
    Suggestion: allow an opt out (# of times depending on silver, gold, etc. level)
    per quarter.

By the time OhmConnect has notified you of an OhmHour and offered you the chance to opt out, they've already completed the bid process with the utility for the amount of energy reduction they can offer. In other words, they're already committed at that point, and they have to pay if you don't save, so it makes sense that some of that cost is passed to us in the form of losing our streak. (It's actually generous of them not to take points away.)

If you know you're going to need to skip an event on a given day, you can use your filters to avoid receiving OhmHours entirely. That takes an extra step of foresight and planning, but you won't lose your streak.

Also, please note that OhmConnect is planning to release some new token cards with features including opt-outs like those you suggested.

There should be some flexibility in the opt feature in my opinion if there are certain criteria met. For example if you have more than X OhmHours with a status of TBD or if you have received more than X OhmHour notifications without a forecast. In those circumstances where there are unresolved issues with a users account‚ in my opinion you should be given the option to opt out of an OhmHour with NO impact on your streak.

@Steve E I agree with you. And in terms of no impact, you would keep your streak and the event you opted out of wouldn't result in you losing your streak nor would it increase your streak.

Until the whole accurate and timely delivery process issue of data from the utility to OC is resolved, I doubt that something like that could be implemented. I think that for OC to not penalize users by stopping their streak due to the criteria you describe, there would need to be a way for OC to hold the utility financially accountable for the impact any data delays or inaccuracies has on its ability to compensate its users fairly.
    edited August 2017

@AKPsi Vince said:
    @Steve E I agree with you. And in terms of no impact, you would keep your streak and the event you opted out of wouldn't result in you losing your streak nor would it increase your streak.

Until the whole accurate and timely delivery process issue of data from the utility to OC is resolved, I doubt that something like that could be implemented. I think that for OC to not penalize users by stopping their streak due to the criteria you describe, there would need to be a way for OC to hold the utility financially accountable for the impact any data delays or inaccuracies has on its ability to compensate its users fairly.

I agree for the most part‚ however I do feel there is somewhat a lack of accountability on the side of OhmConnect. There is certainly an air of reactively addressing the issues rather than being proactive. It should really not be the responsibility of the user to bring these issues to the attention of OhmConnect when the data really speaks for itself. Receiving an OhmHour notification without a forecast is an obvious red flag in relation to data integrity and should not require the end user to initiate the contact with OhmHour to get a resolution.

It is all to easy to lay the blame at the feet of the utility company and appear to absolve yourself of the issue in the interim.

I just logged on to my dashboard and saw this message. This is a step in the right direction

Yes, there are! =) keeping speaking up @Steve E They're listening! (But not in a creepy mics in your home and wirer tapping your phone kind of way)

@AKPsi Vince said:
    Yes, there are! =) keeping speaking up @Steve E They're listening! (But not in a creepy mics in your home and wirer tapping your phone kind of way)

I may be grumpy but I'm not paranoid ;)

• bwiddi87bwiddi87 Posts: 2Member
    > @Kate from OhmConnect said:
    > Those of you who've logged in to see your Dashboard recently may have noticed a new widget: Streaks! With Streaks, we're helping you keep track of how many #OhmHours in a row in which you've successfully reduced. You'll notice that the longer your streak, the larger the bonus we'll apply to your next #OhmHour points.
    >
    > A Few Things to Keep in Mind
    > * If you OPT OUT of an #OhmHour, you will break your streak
    > * If you get 0 points or negative points, you will break your streak
    >
    > In order to offer this incentive to all users, we've eliminated the grace threshold for users who went over their forecast by .2kWh. Previously, we didn't issue negative points for users who were just barely over. Now, with Streaks available for al users, you may see negative points if you go over your forecast at any amount.
  • bwiddi87bwiddi87 Posts: 2Member
    Sometimes I miss the ohm hour email notification how do I find it on the site
  • BayMavsBayMavs Posts: 17Member

@UkiwiS @AKPsi Vince @Kate from OhmConnect
    The system is showing me incorrectly as opted out for the last OhmHour.
    Does that mean I will break my streak even If i have not gone above the forecast though the system is showing me Opt out
    Can you please let me know>

@BayMavs not sure how you were incorrectly opted out, so recommend you email OC support directly using link at top of forums (at least that's where it's located on my phone).
  • BayMavsBayMavs Posts: 17Member

@AKPsi Vince said:
    @BayMavs not sure how you were incorrectly opted out, so recommend you email OC support directly using link at top of forums (at least that's where it's located on my phone).

@AKPsi Vince @Kate from OhmConnect I did contacted them via the support. Waiting for the response for their end. I was just checking in case you have any info regarding if I break my streak if the system is incorrectly showing Opt Out.