Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Chai Energy Pro

Big-SaverBig-Saver Posts: 4Member

Noticed that Chai Energy Pro is available from OH website. Please share any feedback, who has already used it

Comments

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 1,599Member, Moderator
    edited August 2017

@Big-Saver said:
    Noticed that Chai Energy Pro is available from OH website. Please share any feedback, who has already used it

Your post is timely, I searched the Forum for "Chai" this morning and got no hits. Do you know if the only additional cost of "Pro" is this device? Are there any additional fees?

• SD ChipSD Chip Posts: 146Member
    edited August 2017

@UkiwiS Just be aware the Chai Energy Pro is NOT on SDG&E's list of compatible HAN Devices.
    https://sdge.com/residential/list-compatible-han-devices

• Sean4Sean4 Posts: 10Member

I just got one a few days ago, waiting on PG&E to get the streaming data setup. I'm curious how it'll compare to my Sense energy monitor, so far I'm not impressed.

• The Little Ohmer TwinsThe Little Ohmer Twins Union CityPosts: 1,014Moderator
    @sthon The Chai Pro won't come close to Sense since it's just a gateway device that provides real-time data (that it reads from your Smartmeter) of your entire home's energy use thru a Smartphone app; whereas, since Sense connects directly to your electrical panel, it as you know has the ability to read and identify the electric signatures of numerous devices in your home (even if your home and/or appliances are not "smart" and connected to the internet). Therefore, I believe it tells you how much energy individual devices are using, so you can pinpoint your energy "hogs" and start targeting them for energy savings.

Since I don't own a Sense device, I can only speak to what I've read on their website: www.sense.com. I've been interested in getting one, but just not willing to pay the $300 to get it.

@sthon Can you write about your experiences using your Sense device and the associated app including what you think are the best features and how it helps you save energy.
    And if anyone is like me and not willing to pay the $300 price tag for a Sense device, the Chai Pro is the next best thing! At $50, it's the least expensive real-time energy monitor on the market. If you don't already have a similar device, I highly recommend everyone get one!!! I guarantee it'll help you perform better during OhmHours because it puts your forecast into context, which is why I advocated for OC to sell these devices on their website for the last 2 years.

Your forecast is only one part of the energy saving equation. Afterall, how do you know if you've turned off enough stuff to get below your forecast unless you know how much energy you're using right then and there during an OhmHour? It also helps you prioritize which stuff you turn off in order to get below your forecast.

Anyone already using a real time energy monitoring device? If so, how has it helped you save during an OhmHour?

@sthon Can you write about your experiences using your Sense device and the associated app including what you think are the best features and how it helps you save energy.

Sense has really come a long way just in the last month, I've had it for about 6 months now and just reset all my data a week ago so I can use their new algorithms, device detection has gotten much better, after a week it's found devices it didn't find after 5 months. Having solar it's also nice to be able to see my usage vs production, during ohm hours it's extremely helpful, if I forget to turn something off I can at least see my current power usage.

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 1,599Member, Moderator

Can you use Sense to confirm your usage over an OhmHour with the utility data? Does it exactly match or is it just close? I have a Rainforest Eagle and have not been able to exactly match it.

At one point, I was trying 3 different real-time energy monitoring devices (rainforest eagle, Aztec & Power Tab) - only kept the eagle. They were both in the ball-park with each other, but never did they exactly match each other at the same time with power reads nor that of my Smartmeter. In my experience, these devices are good with giving you real time data, but not perfect.

@UkiwiS said:
    Can you use Sense to confirm your usage over an OhmHour with the utility data? Does it exactly match or is it just close? I have a Rainforest Eagle and have not been able to exactly match it.

Eh, it's not all that accurate, I'd trust the numbers from your power company over what Sense reports, it's close enough for personal use but the type of clamp sensors they use have at least a 150 watt +/- tolerance from actual production/consumption.

Good to know. For low energy users, that's a no-go because it could easily to breaking a streak.

@AKPsi Vince said:
    Good to know. For low energy users, that's a no-go because it could easily to breaking a streak.

Yeah, my estimated usage is usually around 3.5kwh, I work from home and have a homelab of 8 servers running 24/7 with the exception of ohm hours. For low power users, it isn't worth the cost, even for myself I bet it will take 2 years for an ROI. It is a fun toy, however.

• Evan SchmidtEvan Schmidt Posts: 13Member

I picked up a Chai Energy Pro gateway a couple weeks ago, pretty slick. You can see in real-time what you're pulling from the meter which helps if you need to run around the house turning off lights and fans to hit your Ohmhour goal.