Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Why were we given almost no notice for Ohm hour today

mchokozimchokozi Member Posts: 2

Today I received a single notice of Ohm hour only 7 minutes prior to it starting and I did not hear this text message come in at the time. It was not until 25 minutes after the hour that I heard the text message and by that point, it was too late to opt out. You must give us more advance notice or we cannot be successful. Please do not do it this way again. Thanks for hearing my concern.

Answers

• IanEIanE Member Posts: 86

yup me too kinda sucks but at least the ecobee and my smart switches got the notification

• lordbobrlordbobr Member Posts: 1

Same here, I was out and about so had no chance to even turn anything off or gear down.

• John KJohn K Lake Forest - Hikers and Bikers TeamMember Posts: 585

@[email protected].net said:
    You must give us more advance notice or we cannot be successful. Please do not do it this way again.

How do they give more notice if they don't get more notice from CAISO? OhmConnect doesn't choose when an OH is called.

• SrelazSrelaz FullertonMember Posts: 123
    edited August 2017

@John K said:

@[email protected].net said:
    You must give us more advance notice or we cannot be successful. Please do not do it this way again.

How do they give more notice if they don't get more notice from CAISO? OhmConnect doesn't choose when an OH is called.

I call BS. San Diego Customers got notice a day in advance for the 8/24 event. I got 10 minutes notice and wasn't home, thank God for smartplugs. I didn't have the opportunity to kill my electric hot water heater breaker. I only used .07 kWh and didn't break my streak of 62 OhmHours in a row, but normally when notice is given (apparently not a day in advance to SCE customers) I use 0.00 kWh.

Here is an interesting thread. https://forum.ohmconnect.com/discussion/1198/future-ohm-hours#latest Looks like another OhmHour coming on 8/29 and 9/1.

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoMember, Moderator Posts: 1,623

@Srelaz said:
    I call BS. San Diego Customers got notice a day in advance for the 8/24 event. I got 10 minutes notice and wasn't home, thank God for smartplugs. I didn't have the opportunity to kill my electric hot water heater breaker. I only used .07 kWh and didn't break my streak of 62 OhmHours in a row, but normally when notice is given (apparently not a day in advance to SCE customers) I use 0.00 kWh.

Here is an interesting thread. https://forum.ohmconnect.com/discussion/1198/future-ohm-hours#latest Looks like another OhmHour coming on 8/29 and 9/1.

I don't think it's BS. Do you think OC is conspiring to make you lose your streak so they can pay you less? You mentioned San Diego got notice a day ahead but you didn't. Are you with SDG&E or another utility? BINGO....I'm sure that has a LOT to do with it. In San Diego I ALWAYS get 24 hours notice but some others I know (different San Diego zip) ONLY ever get 5 mins notice, NEVER 24 hours. Why would that be? I believe it's because the OhmHours are generated differently depending on location and depend on whether they're operating in the PDR or the RDRR market.

It's VERY complex and if you want to do some reading, have a look at the CAISO User Guide which is available for all to see here:
    http://www.caiso.com/Documents/DemandResponseUserGuide.pdf

• SrelazSrelaz FullertonMember Posts: 123
    edited August 2017

@UkiwiS said:

I don't think it's BS. Do you think OC is conspiring to make you lose your streak so they can pay you less? You mentioned San Diego got notice a day ahead but you didn't. Are you with SDG&E or another utility? BINGO....I'm sure that has a LOT to do with it. In San Diego I ALWAYS get 24 hours notice but some others I know (different San Diego zip) ONLY ever get 5 mins notice, NEVER 24 hours. Why would that be? I believe it's because the OhmHours are generated differently depending on location and depend on whether they're operating in the PDR or the RDRR market.

It's VERY complex and if you want to do some reading, have a look at the CAISO User Guide which is available for all to see here:
    http://www.caiso.com/Documents/DemandResponseUserGuide.pdf

This is the third "surprise" OhmHour I've received since I joined in October. I'm not saying this is a conspiracy theory, but with 14 smart devices that's about all that saved my bacon from getting my streak burned. I'm glad my hot water heater didn't kick on either or else that would have ruined my streak. I looked for the streak shield token card too that is documented in the FAQ section now, but it wasn't there.

• The Bitz BoysThe Bitz Boys Union CityModerator Posts: 1,016
    @Srelaz As @UkiwiS stated, this is all very complex. Even just on the utility side in terms of collecting and sharing accurate data in a timely manner while protecting their customer's privacy and following the rules & regulations of the state's utility regulator.

All other companies like OhmConnect only work with big businesses to get energy savings. And the amount of energy savings they get from just ONE business may take OC thousands, if not tens of thousands of users. Which is why these other companies won't try to develop a program built on residential energy user savings. To them, it's too hard and complex, not scalable or profitable, and seemingly impossible.

Even though OC has it challenges, it's figuring it out through, yes, trial and error. In addition to getting the equations, calculations, programming and incentives right, their biggest challenge is probably all of us and the paramount effort it takes to educate its users how to strategically and consistently save energy (i.e. using a smart thermostat and putting a SmartPlug on your refrigerator).

THE GOOD NEWS: they're always getting better! Just get ready for and expect continuous change. It's the one thing you can count on. If you don't like change and uncertainty, this may not be the right program for you and you'll be better off going back to or signing up for your utility's program

I believe OC will get thru it - they just need its community's unwavering support thru patience and understanding. Afterall, the program is free - except for the time and effort users put into participating and the Smart Plugs/Thermostats they invest in). Plus - I don't know of any other energy program that is as fun or pays as much.

So now let me ask the community: What would you do if OC didn't exist?

Save on!
  • Steve ESteve E Member, Moderator Posts: 329

This is now the second consecutive #OhmHour I have gotten with only 10 minutes warning. The first was on 8/24 & now the 2 hour one for today 8/28. I can't remember the last time prior to these two that I got little to short notice and I honestly can never recall ever having it happen on consecutive #OhmHours before.

Whatever the reason for the lack of notice beforehand‚ the issue could clearly be communicated in a more transparent manner.

Something along the lines of "Hey‚ sorry for the short notice but we JUST got notified there is need for an OhmHour in your area..."

Receiving the same message you would get 3 days in advance can lead you to wonder if there was a glitch or a delay in sending out the messages...

Just my $0.01 worth