Tokens and Spins

Steve ESteve E Member, Moderator Posts: 329

So I had accrued enough tokens to take a "Spin" so I thought to myself‚ sure why not I'm kind of curious as to what this is all about.

So I went ahead and redeemed 30 tokens for my spin. I proceed to take the spin and it "lands" on something about Aviator sunglasses. What does this mean? I have absolutely no idea. Have I won a pair of sunglasses? Apparently not as there us no way to redeem them. Do I need to get multiple of these "rewards" to be able to redeem them?

I am completely lost as to what it is I actually "won" and what if anything I would need to do to redeem my "prize". If I did indeed not win anything‚ exactly how far in to the process of winning that prize am I? There also seems to be absolutely nowhere I can see what it is that my spin history actually is‚ nor a list of what the prizes actually are and what you need to do to win them. The only way I can figure out how to see the prizes is to actually redeem tokens for a spin.

If I am missing something here I would love to know what it is and where to go to find this information.

Hey @Kate from OhmConnect can you help out on this?

Best Answer

Answers

• ClimateChangeIsRealClimateChangeIsReal Member Posts: 14

It seems you have to win multiple cards for each prize in order to win the prize, so it will take a while. Annoyingly I can't seem to find a way to browse the cards I've already won without rolling again for a new card.

• Steve ESteve E Member, Moderator Posts: 329

@clavain said:
    It seems you have to win multiple cards for each prize in order to win the prize, so it will take a while. Annoyingly I can't seem to find a way to browse the cards I've already won without rolling again for a new card.

Yeah... it seems to be somewhat ambiguous as to what you need to do and where you stand in the process of actually winning anything. And to be honest the description of the prizes are a little on the light side as well. In respect to what I landed on‚ "Aviator Sunglasses". I have no idea of that is a brand name pair or a pair you could buy for $1.99 at a flea market. I'm also not sure who if anyone is responsible for the shipping if you were to win something

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoMember, Moderator Posts: 1,625

@KarenE said:

@clavain said:

Yeah... it seems to be somewhat ambiguous as to what you need to do and where you stand in the process of actually winning anything. And to be honest the description of the prizes are a little on the light side as well. In respect to what I landed on‚ "Aviator Sunglasses". I have no idea of that is a brand name pair or a pair you could buy for $1.99 at a flea market. I'm also not sure who if anyone is responsible for the shipping if you were to win something

Aviators are required when driving around in a Tesla!

@UkiwiS said:

@KarenE said:

@clavain said:

Aviators are required when driving around in a Tesla!

Ah... So you have to win the Tesla to actually get the Aviators OR do you get the Tesla WHEN you win the Aviators?

@KarenE said:
    Ah... So you have to win the Tesla to actually get the Aviators OR do you get the Tesla WHEN you win the Aviators?

To be honest I have no idea how it all works and my comment was tongue in cheek. Perhaps @curtistongue knows the answer???

@UkiwiS said:

@KarenE said:

To be honest I have no idea how it all works and my comment was tongue in cheek. Perhaps @curtistongue knows the answer???

Not to worry... so was mine.

• mchokozimchokozi Member Posts: 2

How does spinning and landing on "no dirty power" earn me anything to redeem (set aside the Tesla and aviator glasses.) ;-) Plus is there any benefit to "waiting" to spin?

• Christopher S1Christopher S1 Administrator Posts: 46
    edited May 2017

Hi @UkiwiS @[email protected] @KarenE - there's no reason to 'wait' to spin, unless you want to spend your tokens on the other items, such as 'Referral Madness' or 'Baseline Boost.' You can see those here.

We're working to make the spin page a little more clear, but you need to collect all three icons in a set to win the prize. The prizes are the aviators, device discount, WiFi thermostat, etc.

Regarding the other things you can buy with tokens, we're considering including a 'Streak Shield,' which would give you protection on missing one #OhmHour and not having it affect your streak. What's the interest level in that?

I just did 11 consecutive spins in the space of 5 minutes and got 5 X Aviators, 2 X "Put on a Sweater", 3 X Solar and 1 X Wind.

@curtistongue said:
    Hi @UkiwiS @[email protected] @KarenE - there's no reason to 'wait' to spin, unless you want to spend your tokens on the other items, such as 'Referral Madness' or 'Baseline Boost.' You can see those here.

We're working to make the spin page a little more clear, but you need to collect all three icons in a set to win the prize. The prizes are the aviators, device discount, WiFi thermostat, etc.

Regarding the other things you can buy with tokens, we're considering including a 'Streak Shield,' which would give you protection on missing one #OhmHour and not having it affect your streak. What's the interest level in that?

I think the streak protection would be a great thing

• WaterGuyWaterGuy Member, Moderator Posts: 414

@UkiwiS, good to know. Here are my totals so far, out of 13 spins:

@curtistongue, another vote here for the streak protection option. I think it'd be especially nice if you could buy/use it retroactively within 24 hours of breaking your streak, to restore it.

• The Bitz BoysThe Bitz Boys Union CityModerator Posts: 1,017

And why not have 2 types / levels of streak shields? One that costs less that you redeem before an OH , which allows you to preserve your streak in anticipation of an OH you can't participate in and need to opt-out of; and then one that costs more (maybe 2 times the cost of the lower level shield) tokens that you can use after the OH, retroactively.

Seems like a good compromise to me! Now OC just needs to figure out how much they'll cost and let 'em loose! ;)

• Jashley CampaJashley Campa Member Posts: 1

if I get 5 of the "put on a sweater" do the extra 2 points rollover to the next time? or were those a waste of 60 points???

• WaterGuyWaterGuy Member, Moderator Posts: 414

@Jashley Campa said:
    if I get 5 of the "put on a sweater" do the extra 2 points rollover to the next time? or were those a waste of 60 points???

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 2 extra "points," but you need to get all three collectibles in a given row to win the associated prize. So, if you've rolled 5 "Put on a sweater" collectibles, then 4 of them aren't doing anything for you. The odds of rolling some collectibles are apparently much higher than others, so it's likely you'll get multiples if you keep playing for a while.

• Summer1Summer1 Member Posts: 117
    Yes i blew all my coins trying to win something & got like 7 sweaters & multiple of the same thing makes it unattainable
  • IanEIanE Member Posts: 86

has anyone won?
    at all? i mean the sunglasses are only 8 bucks in the store. why should they be so hard to win?

I wonder the same thing =)

@AKPsi Vince said:
    I wonder the same thing =)

I almost took that as a challenge to use all my tokens to try and win something... almost

If you have won something, let us know. What was it? And how many tokens/spins do you think it took to win it?
  • SrelazSrelaz FullertonMember Posts: 123

I have 4,951 tokens, should I roll the dice? Lmao!

I won the 15% off after rolling all of mycoins got a bunch of the same ones. Big deal 15% off there always doing that anyway just a way for us to give them $
    @Summer how many tokens do you think it took you to finally win the 15% off reward?
    Id say atleast 40 spins & its 30 tokens per spin
    @Summer Curious, based on your experience, do you think you’ll use your tokens for more spins or just to try save up for something of more value i.e. baseline boost, referral madness, etc? Or...just keep using your tokens for spins because the chance of winning something seems more feasible than saving up for the higher value rewards?

I have my own thoughts, but I’d like to see what you think.

What do others think?
  • DarrenTDarrenT Member Posts: 62

Can't speak for everyone, but the only thing I'd be interested in spending tokens on is the baseline boost. Unfortunately, it would take me around 3 years to accumulate enough tokens to get one (assuming 75 ohmhours per year and logging in every day).

I think as the program becomes less and less generous with points, there's an opportunity to keep people participating by rewarding tokens for more things so people can realistically obtain cards to boost their baseline, protect their streak, etc.

My normal forecast is a bit under 1kWh, and as we head into "winter" (SoCal doesn't really have a winter), it will likely dip below 0.5kWh during my peak usage hours, so I'm not getting much back in terms of points, but I'm trying to maximize what I can get and build that streak. It's pretty easy for me to simply unplug / shut everything off, so my savings is currently at 93% through 13 events. Like some people, I was stoked to hear there was a 2-hour and a 3-hour event this week because it would give me a chance to earn more points. However, I was a bit disappointed to see that my efforts to reduce as much as possible were rewarded about half as much as they were when I first joined with little to no streak (based on points per kWh).

Why not throw in some bonus tokens for saving over certain levels each event? For example:

50% = 50 tokens
    60% = 100 tokens
    70% = 150 tokens
    80% = 200 tokens
    90% = 250 tokens

40 events of 90% savings seems like a pretty good trade-off for a shot at a good chunk of points. You're also staying within the spirit of the program by encouraging users to save as much as possible. Currently the streak is all that matters. Once lost, it seems like users don't see the point in participating, which hurts the program overall. And newcomers to the program have very little incentive to stick with it if they feel it's not worth the effort (points per kWh being scaled back), which hurts the program as well.

I understand there's a business side to this, and from what I can tell from other posts on here, it's the reason the referral bonuses have been reduced (think I read somewhere that it used to be $75 early on), it's the reason the status level bonus has been cut dramatically (multipliers going from 2x and 4x down to 1.5x and 2x), and it's the reason you're probably going to see points per kWh continue to go down. So while all these rewards that result in direct compensation are being curtailed in order to keep things going, you're going to need a way to keep your users interested in participating and I think making indirect compensation (tokens) relevant you can do that. I get why the token values of some cards (like baseline boost) were dramatically increased, but from my perspective, it seems like it went from being too obtainable to unobtainable for the majority of users.

I could go on about the token economy, but I don't want to make a long post even longer.

@DarrenT - Good points.

I wonder if there are additional items that could be added to the "Token Marketplace" that could be both attainable and users would see as being desirable and useful?

Not sure being it will take so long to get boost maybe try for tge $
  • DarrenTDarrenT Member Posts: 62
    edited October 2017

@Steve E Some ideas:

1. Split "Streak Shield" into a before and after (saw this suggestion in a different thread and thought it was a good idea). The after I think could be as expensive as the current card is, and the before can be cheaper, but more expensive than the "Opt-Out".
    2. Make "Forecast Boost" tack on a small amount to your forecast and break it into levels (something like 0.25, 0.50, 0.75, 1.00) and range from something reasonable like 500-2000 tokens. Can't be stacked with any other cards.
    3. For those that like to gamble, split the "Spin to Win" rewards into tiers, so those that want a reward in a specific tier, they can spend more / less on each spin to at least guarantee they get one of the sub-items from that tier. So high tier spins could be 300 per spin or something more in line with the current chance of getting that based on the number of tokens they'd have to spend. They would still have to get all three unique items per award, or whatever it is, but it would at least give them a way to spend tokens on something they actually want. Could also add in a small chance at some of the lesser card boosts as a consolation prize (beats the heck out of getting a bunch of duplicates and might lessen the blow of realizing you just spent hundreds of tokens and got nothing out of it).

Also, this is not specific to tokens, but rethink the referral program. The point of referrals is to get more people to participate and save, but currently only the person referring is rewarded (at least that was the case as of about a month or so ago). The person signing up is the one directly improving overall results, so I think it's fair to give them some upfront incentive to try things out. I know I would feel much more inclined to sign up if there was actually some immediate benefit in it for me. Especially if I'm being asked to blindly trust OhmConnect with my utility credentials and other information like name, email, phone number and address. I didn't sign up through a referral myself, but I've noticed some of the people I've spoken to about the program were hesitant to do so because they thought it wouldn't be worth it to them or they weren't comfortable giving their utility credentials and other information out to a third party. I think an even split of the current $20 award ($10 each) is fair and may even be enough of a push to get those that are hesitant to at least give it a try. Also maybe change the requirements on the referrer side so they only get the bonus if the person reaches Gold / Platinum (or some other milestone like simply participating in x number of events and saving any amount), that way you're paying out for quality referrals, not just the ones that try it, call it stupid and cancel their account.

Side note, i'm not a fan of "Referral Madness". It promotes the wrong message when comparing the referral payouts to how long it would take to make that amount in points (I'm assuming the majority aren't saving several kWh's per event). Plus, the requirements to get that referral money are pretty lenient. I could probably get all of my coworkers that live in the area and have SCE (vast majority of them) to sign up, link their accounts, and participate in one OhmHour, then not care at all what they do after that because I already made $20 off them ($40 if I use the ridiculously cheap "Referral Madness" card). Heck, I could even offer to give them a piece of the referral or offer to buy them lunch and still probably make several times more in referral money than I ever would actually participating and saving. How does that help the overall mission OhmConnect is trying to accomplish?

Just my two cents.

@DarrenT

Great ideas! Thanks for sharing.