Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Do you put a smart plug on your fridge?

Kate from OhmConnectKate from OhmConnect Posts: 1,049Administrator
edited December 2017 in Rocking Your #OhmHours

Do you put a smart plug on your fridge? 49 votes

Yes
69%
Kate from OhmConnectMomtobandaSD ChipKellie LopezRoland Knightcaliff22noosaaolSaveTheWorldlepohmSylvester SrelazIanEGregoryWaterGuyXdatineliawellsrmd234nlaceySFPowerSaverNicholas1 34 votes
No
30%
The Little Ohmer Twinsralevinenatalie riveraUkiwiSCraigWjserramcdjluna510gshawn-kleinsmithXander W.Kolchaklightfeatherpratik12345gottrauma13daniel-r-richmondgetawif 15 votes

Comments

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 1,576Member, Moderator
    No

I would but have a built in and it's impossible to get behind without the risk of doing some damage.

• IanEIanE Posts: 86Member
    Yes

i put one on the dishwasher too...

• ralevineralevine San DiegoPosts: 9Member
    No
    I had one on our refrigerator until one OhmHour after which it wasn't automatically turned back on. I will unplug the refrigerator if I'm home during the OhmHour, but it's too big a risk to use the smartplug.
  • mattrauchmattrauch Posts: 1Member
    I’d love to add a smart plug but I’m a little concerned about power cycling our 10+ year old refrigerator. Has anyone experienced issues with older refrigerators on smart plugs?
  • Kate from OhmConnectKate from OhmConnect Posts: 1,049Administrator
    Yes

@ralevine said:
    I had one on our refrigerator until one OhmHour after which it wasn't automatically turned back on. I will unplug the refrigerator if I'm home during the OhmHour, but it's too big a risk to use the smartplug.

what type of plug was it?

• WaterGuyWaterGuy Posts: 414Member, Moderator
    Yes

@mattrauch said:
    I’d love to add a smart plug but I’m a little concerned about power cycling our 10+ year old refrigerator. Has anyone experienced issues with older refrigerators on smart plugs?

I haven't had any issues!

• The Little Ohmer TwinsThe Little Ohmer Twins Union CityPosts: 1,014Moderator
    No

There should be a 3rd voting option: "Not yet. Would like to, but concerned it might not turn my refrigerator back on".

I've been wanting to because I know there's research (FDA?) that states you're refrigerator will keep your food safe for about 4 hours. My greatest fear is that the plug doesn't turn my refrigerator back on and I don't know, my food spoils and my family (particularly my 4 year old twin boys) get sick. Until now, everyone has stated that their smartplugs always turned their refrigerator back on.

@ralevine What was the make/model of the plug that you used? Perhaps, it was the Schneider ones that OC use to carry in their store and users reported as being unreliable (hence why OC no longer carries them). I have yet to hear anything bad about the TP-Links.

No
    The smartplug that didn't bring the refrigerator back on was a TP-LINK HS110, which I like very much and have found to be reliable usually. But every once in a while I'll need to update the firmware, and perhaps that's what caused the problem. It's not the only time, though, that everything didn't come back on correctly. If it's a TV or the air conditioning that needs attention when I get back home, it's really not a problem. But if the refrigerator is off for an extended period, it can mean spoiled food, and that can get expensive.
    Yes

@AKPsi Vince said:
    There should be a 3rd voting option: "Not yet. Would like to, but concerned it might not turn my refrigerator back on".

I've been wanting to because I know there's research (FDA?) that states you're refrigerator will keep your food safe for about 4 hours. My greatest fear is that the plug doesn't turn my refrigerator back on and I don't know, my food spoils and my family (particularly my 4 year old twin boys) get sick. Until now, everyone has stated that their smartplugs always turned their refrigerator back on.

@ralevine What was the make/model of the plug that you used? Perhaps, it was the Schneider ones that OC use to carry in their store and users reported as being unreliable (hence why OC no longer carries them). I have yet to hear anything bad about the TP-Links.

I recall a post from one of the OC team members (@Claudia, maybe?) that said OC would notify you if they're unable to turn your smart switch(es) back on for whatever reason. Also, apparently they repeatedly send the signal until the switch turns on, so if, for example, your plug momentarily loses Internet connection, it'll be turned on whenever it's reconnected.

No
    @ralevine did you experience what @WaterGuy described - OC notifying when they can’t connect to your plug (essentially telling you it’s not working)? I hope so. Sounds like a fail-safe, which is reassuring. But from what I gathered, it sounded like you weren’t notified when your plug couldn’t be turned back on.
  • ClaudiaClaudia San FranciscoPosts: 95Administrator

we currently retry to turn back on and send a notification if we weren't able to turn back on. we are working on exposing additional information to our users on when a device was turned off / back on and addt notifications when there are issues, we expect to launch this early next calendar year

• IanEIanE Posts: 86Member
    Yes

@mattrauch said:

my old fridge did die after i started using a smartplug on it but i'm not sure how much that caused the failure.
    but we needed a new one anyhow so ....

Yes

@Claudia said:
    we currently retry to turn back on and send a notification if we weren't able to turn back on. we are working on exposing additional information to our users on when a device was turned off / back on and addt notifications when there are issues, we expect to launch this early next calendar year

Curiously, I've received a few emails this past week (not during OhmHours) saying that OhmConnect has lost connection with my fridge smart plug. Each time, I've double-checked that the fridge is still on, and it has been. Is there any chance you guys are testing your notification system? I've never seen this behavior before (and still haven't for my other smart plugs--all TP-Links), and would definitely like to know if the smart plug on the fridge is failing.

No
    @AKPsi Vince: Sorry for the delayed response. Yes, I have always been notified when my devices have not been turned back on. While helpful, it's not enough to make me comfortable leaving my refrigerator plugged in to a smart plug since I can't always get back home in time to reconnect the refrigerator before food would spoil (for instance, when out of town or when the OhmHour is in the morning). Btw, it hasn't always been the smart plug's fault. Once when I was out of town my Internet service went down. I was really glad I hadn't left my refrigerator on a smart plug, as it was several days before I got back and was able to get everything working again!
    edited March 2018
    No
    @ralevine Glad you mentioned something about your internet going down. I hadn’t thought about that. Even though it’s not OC’s fault, I can see how that creates a reasonable cause for concern especially if you’re away on vacation.

I guess if that was a concern of mine, I could just take my fridge off the Smartplug and plug it directly into the outlet. But that’s a hassle I’d rather not worry about or have to try to remember especially because it’s hard enough having to pull the fridge out in the 1st place just so I can put a Smartplug in.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to minimize or eliminate the problem of your Smartplug going down and turning your fridge off (without the ability to turn it back on) if/when your internet goes down?

@Ben at OhmConnect do Smartplugs have some kind of fail safe to account for the internet going down? i.e. if the internet goes down or the Smartplug loses connection to your router or its hub, it will automatically turn on if it’s turned off.
  • rbarlinerbarline Posts: 11Member

@Ben at OhmConnect do Smartplugs have some kind of fail safe to account for the internet going down? i.e. if the internet goes down or the Smartplug loses connect to your router or its hub, it will automatically turn on if it’s turned off.

Ben's great question could use an answer. I was all ready to install a TP to my fridge until I read this thread. Losing a freezer full of food would be very expensive. If someone invented a smartplug with this feature (automatically turn on if loss of connectivity), it would be a great product.

• SD ChipSD Chip Posts: 144Member
    edited March 2018
    Yes

Just so everyone is properly educated, According to FOODSAFETY.GOV :
    When the Power Goes Out
    Keep the refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible. A refrigerator will keep food cold for about 4 hours if the door is kept closed. A full freezer will hold its temperature for about 48 hours (24 hours if half-full).

• No Pain No GainNo Pain No Gain 93035Posts: 404Member
    Yes

@rbarline Luckily, our internet doesn't go down for days at a time (anymore), but I have my smart plugs on surge protector power strips. That way, if necessary, I don't need to pull my fridge out to put the plug into a non-smart plug outlet. It's also easier to check the smart plug is functioning since it's not behind the fridge.

• CraigWCraigW Posts: 44Member
    No

Mines a nope. Check it with a Kill-a-watt, found it uses 0.08 during the hour unless I'm standing with the door open. Not worth it.

No
    @CraigW sounds like you have a newer, more efficient refrigerator. So it would probably only benefit people that have refrigerators that are at least 10-15 years old.

By the way, can you please explain what a Kill-A-Watt is? I don’t think everyone is familiar with it.
  • CraigWCraigW Posts: 44Member
    No

Kill-A-Watt, a plug that measures how much energy is used through the plug, The fridge is about 7 years old but we bought an efficient one at the time. Even ones that are ten - fifteen should be pretty good. People should really check their devices with a meter. I recall seeing a post where the person on the energy challenge highlighted all the smart plugs he had and device he didn't and turning everything off was at something around .44 kwh for the OH. With no smart plugs, I hit the same level and I'm not unplugging anything. It's just turning off the TV and main lights we used.

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/88fede43-41d3-4bd1-8f1c-6dfdc9756240_1.34887057babc094d1e03730841b3e421.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

edited April 2018
    Yes

@AKPsi Vince said:
    @ralevine Glad you mentioned something about your internet going down. I hadn’t thought about that. Even though it’s not OC’s fault, I can see how that creates a reasonable cause for concern especially if you’re away on vacation.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to minimize or eliminate the problem of your Smartplug going down and turning your fridge off (without the ability to turn it back on) if/when your internet goes down?

Ben at OhmConnect do Smartplugs have some kind of fail safe to account for the internet going down? i.e. if the internet goes down or the Smartplug loses connection to your router or its hub, it will automatically turn on if it’s turned off.

I recently was without internet for 11 days. (Thank you, Frontier :s :# ) All 9 of my smart plugs stayed on. The WiFi signal kept them functioning, but OC lost connection with them because there was no internet.
    Kasa and OC both showed all smart plugs as being offline.
    When I had OhmHours, I got email notifications to let me know my smart plugs hadn't been turned off OR back on.
    I received several emails from @Ben at OhmConnect like this one:

Bottom line - If the Internet goes down, smart plugs continue working with your WiFi signal.

No

I guess it would also depend on whether your smartplugs are off or on when you loose Internet connectivity. Glad to hear you didn't have a problem when you were without Internet, but my experience, both when I've lost my Internet and when I've just had problems with individual smartplugs, makes connecting my refrigerator to one too risky for my level of comfort.

Yes

@ralevine If your internet goes down while your smart plugs are off, like during an OhmHour or if you schedule your lights to go off during the night, you can turn them on manually with Kasa. It's the WiFi they're connected to locally, not the internet.

• John KJohn K Lake Forest - Hikers and Bikers TeamPosts: 585Member
    edited May 2018

@No Pain No Gain said:
    @ralevine If your internet goes down while your smart plugs are off, like during an OhmHour or if you schedule your lights to go off during the night, you can turn them on manually with Kasa. It's the WiFi they're connected to locally, not the internet.

Actually, OC can only turn them off if they are connected to the internet via your own wi-fi network. That's why we need to turn on Remote ControI in the settings for each TP-Link plug. I suspect @ralevine is concerned about this happening when he/she's NOT home on his own local network.

No
    Stupid Question: Doesn’t your Internet need to be working for your WiFi to work?
  • John KJohn K Lake Forest - Hikers and Bikers TeamPosts: 585Member
    edited May 2018

A local network can exist over WiFi without connection to the internet. TP-Link plugs can be controlled via Kasa without an internet connection. I believe some less smart smartplugs, like Wemo, may require internet connection once they are set up for remote operation and thus have a problem if the internet goes down.

• stormysbstormysb Posts: 67Member
    Yes

We rent, so our fridge is an old one. The smart plug turns it off and on again with no problems so far. I was worried about it being an older model and not responding to the smart plug, but in my opinion, that is what these smart plugs were made for.

• sandyeggansandyeggan Posts: 1Member

Thank you stormysb, I too rent and have an old frig. that's where I will put my smart plug,I just.got two days ago. good luck